Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Utah makes sex outside of marriage legal

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

I find it very hard to comprehend that it was illegal in Utah to have sex if unmarried. Surely most people have sex with their partners before they tie the knot, there is nothing wrong in that, in fact it is crazy if you don't. Sex is an important part of being in a relationship and you need to know that you and your partner are compatible. We were glad our two married daughters lived with their partners for a couple of years before they married.

Mary was apparently pregnant before she married Joseph, conceived either by him, or another human male, the virgin birth story isn't credible.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Utah makes sex outside of marriage legal

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

JJ50 wrote: I find it very hard to comprehend that it was illegal in Utah to have sex if unmarried. Surely most people have sex with their partners before they tie the knot, there is nothing wrong in that, in fact it is crazy if you don't. Sex is an important part of being in a relationship and you need to know that you and your partner are compatible. We were glad our two married daughters lived with their partners for a couple of years before they married.

Mary was apparently pregnant before she married Joseph, conceived either by him, or another human male, the virgin birth story isn't credible.
This set of blanket statements that "Surely most people have sex with their partners before they tie the knot," and "there is nothing wrong in that," and "in fact it is crazy if you don't." claims an authority not in evidence nor proven and insults those who reject this false authority to follow a higher morality.

Neither could I find a debate question in this post so I suspect it should be moved and rejected as a rant.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by PinSeeker »

No offense intended, JJ, but you seem to have a very low view of sex and marriage. And you're most certainly not alone in that; many, many, many Christians are in the same boat. That certainly doesn't make anybody a "bad person," but it's unfortunate.
  • "Mary was apparently pregnant before she married Joseph, conceived either by him, or another human male, the virgin birth story isn't credible."
Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh... :)

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

ttruscott wrote:This set of blanket statements that "Surely most people have sex with their partners before they tie the knot," and "there is nothing wrong in that," and "in fact it is crazy if you don't." claims an authority not in evidence nor proven and insults those who reject this false authority to follow a higher morality.
I disagree. I think JJ50 is right. To claim otherwise without data is equally irresponsible. I'm trying to find data to prove one way or the other. So far all I've found is this: https://voxeu.org/article/premarital-se ... matisation
It claims over 70% of people nowadays engage in premarital sex. Sounds believable to me. Have any data to contradict? Perhaps with a better source? I also don't find saying "it's crazy if you don't" to be anything disrespectful or insulting. It's an idiom to indicate "I strongly believe this opinion" and nothing more. You are right though, no real debate topic.
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Moderator Action
No debate topic.
Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

PinSeeker wrote:
Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh... :)

Laughter isn't a very convincing rebuttal to an argument.

Perhaps you can provide something with a bit more evidence behind it. Five words with only two letters used between them falls a bit short.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

ttruscott wrote:
JJ50 wrote: I find it very hard to comprehend that it was illegal in Utah to have sex if unmarried. Surely most people have sex with their partners before they tie the knot, there is nothing wrong in that, in fact it is crazy if you don't. Sex is an important part of being in a relationship and you need to know that you and your partner are compatible. We were glad our two married daughters lived with their partners for a couple of years before they married.

This set of blanket statements that "Surely most people have sex with their partners before they tie the knot," and "there is nothing wrong in that," and "in fact it is crazy if you don't." claims an authority not in evidence nor proven and insults those who reject this false authority to follow a higher morality.

You've provided no evidence of any other authority nor have you proven it provides a higher morality.

You may indeed claim a higher morality, but as it stands all you've done is hint at a different morality. There is no reason to think that is higher simply because it is different.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom