For Easter Church

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

WebersHome
Guru

For Easter Church

Post #1

Post by WebersHome »

[font=Verdana]â—� Luke 16:29-31 . . Abraham said; "They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them. If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone rises from the dead."

The man, with whom Abraham spoke, called him "father" and he called the man "son". So it's my guess that the man was related to Abraham.

The New Testament hadn't been compiled yet when Jesus told their story so it was appropriate at the time that Abraham direct his son to the Old Testament; which even to this day is a valuable evangelistic tool.

Anyway; my point is: if someone refuses to accept the book of Genesis that the cosmos-- all of its forms of life, matter, and energy --is the product of intelligent design; then it would probably be futile to invite them to church Easter morning to hear a sermon about Jesus Christ's crucified dead body restored to life.
_
[/font]

Imprecise Interrupt
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by Imprecise Interrupt »

Luke 16
27 And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father's house— 28 for I have five brothers—so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.’ 29 But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’ 30 And he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31 He said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.’�

Nowhere in Luke 16 does Abraham address the rich man as son. It is clear that the rich man used the word ‘father’ with respect to Abraham simply as an honorific, e.g., ‘father Abraham’ in v.30. In v.27, the man refers to his father’s house where his brothers live, while also calling Abraham ‘father’. It is clear that Abraham is not actually his father.

Believing in intelligent design is not dependent on accepting the creation story in Genesis 1 as literal. If it was, it would be much less popular. However. for the record, I accept neither. Nonetheless I find the Judeo-Christian scriptures fascinating works.