Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Getting off on others burning in hell!

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

On another forum on which I post, there is a Christian extremist who seems to get pleasure at the thought of people who don't share his take on religion burning in the mythical fires of hell. People who think like that have a personality problem and require therapy, imo. They aren't doing their faith any favours at all, just the opposite, especially as there is no evidence whatsoever a hell of that sort exists.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: Getting off on others burning in hell!

Post #2

Post by Jagella »

JJ50 wrote: On another forum on which I post, there is a Christian extremist who seems to get pleasure at the thought of people who don't share his take on religion burning in the mythical fires of hell. People who think like that have a personality problem and require therapy, imo. They aren't doing their faith any favours at all, just the opposite, especially as there is no evidence whatsoever a hell of that sort exists.
I've also known Christians who take delight at the thought of their hated enemies burning in hell. The Christian doctrine of damnation is just perfect for sadists many of whom may be attracted to Christianity because they like the idea of people burning forever.

Be that as it may, many Christians especially recently have repudiated the doctrine of hell being an eternal burning torture chamber. They have replaced that eternal burning torture chamber with a hell that annihilates unrepentant sinners in effect snuffing them out of existence. This version of a "kinder, gentler" hell has become very popular nowadays. Many centuries of Christian theology espousing an eternally burning hell has been overturned by those whose ethics cannot accept such a fate for sinners. We are told that the Christian church did not truly understand what Christ preached or deliberately distorted what he preached about hell.

My own view of the matter is that the New Testament does posit a hell in which the unsaved are tormented forever in a lake of fire. Christ as he is presented by the gospel writers is a man who seemed obsessed with burning all those who did not believe what he said.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #3

Post by OnceConvinced »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings for lack of a clear debate topic. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

For those interested, there is a thread now on debating What is the Biblical view of hell?