Christians can't even obey Jesus

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

Christians can't even obey Jesus

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

Jesus' sermon on the mount it in the plain (depending which gospel you read) is supposed to be like the event at Sinai where God gave us the law. Christians, of course thumb their nose at 95% of what God commands. They don't just not do it. Oh no...they say they are dead. They mean nothing.

For Christians their obedience is to Jesus. And Jesus commanded they

But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also...And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away...
Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you...rain on the just and on the unjust....if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

WHAT CHRISTIAN OBEYS THE COMMANDS OF "THEIR" LORD? NONE!!!
AND BECAUSE THEY DONT HERE US WHAT THEY CAN EXPECT. UNLESS THEIR LORD JESUS IS A LIAR:

"And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it."

Christians:. Your Lord Jesus is telling you that you are a fool. No other way to slice this.

Hey...can I borrow some money? Only $20 It's only $20....come on now. Jesus commands it. Let's find out who is a real Christian. I'll give my address to those who will loan me $20. If you can't loan 20 just send me what you can. Jesus knows what you can give

John Bauer
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by John Bauer »

Avoice wrote: Jesus' sermon on the mount ... is supposed to be like the event at Sinai where God gave us the law.
Your statement betrays a profound misunderstanding of the Sermon on the Mount, starting with the erroneous notion that the law was given to us. (It was given exclusively to the Israelites.)
Avoice wrote: Christians, of course, thumb their nose at 95% of what God commands. They don't just not do it. Oh no, they say they are dead. They mean nothing.
If by this you mean that Christians disobey what God commands, then it is actually 100 percent of his commands that they disobey.

And do you understand what Christians mean when they say they are dead? It's not that "they mean nothing."
Avoice wrote: Christians, of course, thumb their nose at 95% of what God commands. ... For Christians their obedience is to Jesus.
For Christians, Jesus is God incarnate. This should return us to the previous point, that Christians always disobey God.

And this is borne out in your next statement, where you indicate a number of commands from Jesus that Christians disobey. And it's true. Christians don't always let their light shine before people, they don't always repent to those they have wronged, or resist evil, or honor their marriage, or turn the other cheek, or love their enemies and so forth (see chapters 5–7 of Matthew for the full sermon). Part of the very purpose of the Sermon on the Mount was to expose the hypocrisy of those who thought they were so obedient.

If you think "a real Christian" is someone who obeys these commands of Jesus, then you not only misunderstand the sermon but you don't even understand Christianity. A Christian is not someone who perfectly (or even mostly) obeys all the commands of Jesus, but someone who acknowledges his abject disobedience, repents thereof, and places the entirety of his hope in the perfect righteousness of their Lord and Savior. Their soul longs to live in accordance with this "perfect standard of the Christian life," as Augustine described it, but they fail and they know it. And that's the very point of it all—to expose the futility of trying to earn your way into heaven through perfect obedience, and thus our desperate need of redemption by a perfect Redeemer.

It's true, "Christians can't even obey Jesus," as you said—and just about any Christian would be the first to tell you that. It typically forms a crucial part of the Christian's gospel message. You haven't uncovered something new here.
"Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called upon to act
in accordance with the dictates of reason."
— Oscar Wilde.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all
argument, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle
is contempt prior to investigation."
— William Paley.