Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Writing in 80 AD Matthew and Luke copied from Mark in 70 AD

Post #1

Post by polonius »

Around 70 AD Mark wrote in his chapter 8

27 Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked his disciples, ‘Who do people say that I am?’ 28And they answered him, ‘John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets.’ 29He asked them, ‘But who do you say that I am?’ Peter answered him, ‘You are the Messiah.’* 30And he sternly ordered them not to tell anyone about him.

Around 80 AD
the writer of the Gospel of Matthew wrote in his chapter 16

Matthew chapter 16
13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?� 14 And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, but others Elijah, and still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.� 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?� 16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah,[a] the Son of the living God.� 17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock[c] I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it.

Problems: Matthew copied almost verbatim from Mark. Matthew overlooked that in John’s gospel we learn that Simon’s brother Andrew, not God the Father, originally told Simon that Jesus was the Messiah and Simon's name was changed to Peter, before either became an apostle.

And the word “church� comes from middle English so was not used by Matthew.
Matthew heavily copied from Mark. Luke did too but less often.

Also 'Hint" The evangelist Matthew was not the apostle Matthew.
See the Introduction to Matthew in the New American Bible to find out why.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by Eloi »

Is it, this topic, about Theology, Doctrine or Dogma?

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.