The Psychology of Christianity: Holiness

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Dimmesdale
Sage

The Psychology of Christianity: Holiness

Post #1

Post by Dimmesdale »

The Bible would be mostly irrelevant to modern man were it not for a handful of interrelated concepts that still hold sway in the cultural milieu: ideas of the sacred.

Is there immorality in the Bible on the part of God and His people? Oh yes, by human standards definitely. But WHO ARE YOU, oh MAN that you should TALK BACK to GOD?

Because of God's HOLY STANDARD of RIGHTEOUSNESS every human being born was sinful since conception, cannot please God, and thus is on the road to hell unless a change happens. So, because we are all sinners, God can do as he pleases as no one is innocent (in the absolute sense).

This ties into holiness, because holiness is literally the gulf that separates human beings from God and angels. Unless this gulf is bridged (that is, unless humans are made just as holy as God) God can, supposedly, pick us off like the sniper in the tower. And do so with more than impunity; it would be a part of his justice.

Looking at believers (at least, born again believers), this seems to be basically the default stance. We are man, He is God. We must bow down to Him, we owe him everything. Every breath, every heartbeat, is a gift from God that we don't deserve. How dare we question the Holy God and His Standard, when we are utterly depraved and mired in sin. This is the psychology.

Now here's my question: Is it not necessary to question this psychology, as it lies at the root of the Bible's relevance? Perhaps skeptics should try to poke holes at this concept of Holiness and, if there is a problem, may thus tear down the structure of Christianity from the inside out. I would argue that Christianity's intransigence is primarily based on the idea of Holiness and not wanting to question traditional notions of our unworthiness and a refusal to blend the sacred and the profane.

I, for one, believe that the sacred and the profane should be married and reconciled. That humans should embrace their darkness instead of running away from it. And that Holiness is largely nothing more than a concept and that, actually, everything is Holy.

Dimmesdale
Sage

Re: The Psychology of Christianity: Holiness

Post #2

Post by Dimmesdale »

[Replying to Dimmesdale]

When it comes to embracing both the sacred and the profane, I do not exhort anyone to do things which are disrespectful to Christianity or any other religion. Although, in a sense, if you are beyond the pale of orthodoxy you're bound to offend/disrespect someone somewhere in some context (for example, I take holy communion even though I'm not a believing Catholic: tough, I see nothing wrong in it and see it as a positive rite). That said, one should still I think refrain from intentionally desecrating Christian things just to get a kick out of offending people. That type of "blasphemy" ought to be seen as not very noble. Of course, edgy artists like Marilyn Manson or someone like that might have a keen social awareness and they may be trying to get things across through their irreverent art. I'm not one to speak for all people, I can only speak for myself.