Modhi's wall

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Modhi's wall

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Apparently Trump likes prime minister Narendra Modhi of India. It is not hard to see why. Modhi built walls along Trump's route, apparently so that the president's eyes were not offended by the sight of people living in hovels, and eking out their meagre existence amidst squalor and deprivation. Out of sight, out of mind.

One suspects that Modhi might have been capable of a little more imagination, and, if he is ashamed of his poor, actually seized on the opportunity to do something to improve their condition. But this is not the kind of solution the bully Trump, self-admitted tax avoider, and obviously all-round spoilt brat, with a similar penchant for walls, would fully appreciate. Nor does it even seem to have occurred to Modhi. Birds of a feather flock together.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Tcg
Savant

Re: Modhi's wall

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by 2ndRateMind]

I see no correlation. Modhi built a wall to hide slums. Trump wants to reinforce an existing wall to help deter illegal immigration.

Now if Trump wanted to build a wall to hide the slums that surround D.C., that would be a different story. It seems that in the U.S., people, Trump included, are able to ignore poverty absent a wall.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 2 by Tcg]

Interesting. I see plenty of correlation. I see walls as a knee-jerk reaction designed to satisfy the popular vote or for other, expeditious, purposes. I see the eradication of absolute poverty as dealing with the problem at root. How many walls do we need to build before the world realises this?

Any leader can build a wall. It takes a statesman to build the kind of bridges that will consign absolute poverty to history. It would help if we all democratically elected leaders who thought in similar ways. Do you think Trump's wall, or Modhi's wall, would be necessary if there were no poor, among us?

As for the mental walls we are apt to build in our minds, well, that is something for each of us to tackle on our own behalf, if we are to fulfill Jesus' injunction to 'Love each other'.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

2ndRateMind wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Tcg]

Interesting. I see plenty of correlation.
This claim doesn't resolve the clear difference in the purposes of Modhi's wall versus Trump's. It simply ignores the vast difference I've identified.

I see walls as a knee-jerk reaction designed to satisfy the popular vote or for other, expeditious, purposes
You claimed that Modhi built his wall to hide poverty from Trump. How would this satisfy the popular vote? Is Trump a registered voter in India?

I see the eradication of poverty as dealing with the problem at root. How many walls do we need to build before the world realises this?
I'm not sure what it would take for the world to see your point of view. I doubt building walls would help.

Any leader can build a wall. It takes a statesman to build the kind of bridges that will consign absolute poverty to history. It would help if we all democratically elected leaders who thought in similar ways.
It would be even better if someone presented a process that would truly end poetry. Electing leaders who thought poverty should be ended and yet have no means to do so will not end poverty.

Do you think Trump's wall, or Modhi's wall, would be necessary if there were no poor, among us?

Best wishes, 2RM.
Where did I suggest that either are necessary? In argumentation, it is better to support ones own claims rather than attempt to force another to support claims they have not made.

Tcg
Last edited by Tcg on Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Tcg wrote:

Do you think Trump's wall, or Modhi's wall, would be necessary if there were no poor, among us?

Best wishes, 2RM.
Where did I suggest that either are necessary? I[n] argumentation, it is better to support ones own claims rather than attempt to force another to support claims they have not made.
I didn't say you did. I was merely expounding my position, as seemed to me appropriate, given your response. Why the defensiveness?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

2ndRateMind wrote:
Tcg wrote:

Best wishes, 2RM.
Where did I suggest that either are necessary? I[n] argumentation, it is better to support ones own claims rather than attempt to force another to support claims they have not made.
I didn't say you did. I was merely expounding my position, as seemed to me appropriate, given your response.
If you are expounding your position, you should be able to do so without soliciting my support.

Why the defensiveness?
What defensiveness?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 6 by Tcg]

So, I'm not really interested in arguing with you, only in 'my agenda', which is to eradicate absolute poverty while simultaneously that humanity should live comfortably within the ecological carrying capacity of spaceship Earth. If we don't do these things, we are bound to leave the next generations not a better, but a worse, world to inherit. And that does not seem to me to be a partcularly moral enterprise.

So, I advocate the demolition of walls designed to separate the 'haves' from the 'have-nots', and the building of bridges between the two. It's not that complicated, really. It may even turn out to be economically advantageous to the 'haves', to have the whole world able to buy their wares, rather than just a small portion of it.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

2ndRateMind wrote: [Replying to post 6 by Tcg]

So, I'm not really interested in arguing with you,
Your three replies to my posts, so far, paints a very different picture. Your action doesn't support this claim.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Tcg wrote:

Your three replies to my posts, so far, paints a very different picture. Your action doesn't support this claim.
And that addresses the essence of my comments, just how? In other words, what, precisely, would be your substantive, rather than procedural, point?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

2ndRateMind wrote:
Tcg wrote:

And that addresses the essence of my comments, just how? In other words, what, precisely, would be your substantive point?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Are you asking me once again to support your position? You claimed to be able to support your position without my support and yet here you are requesting it yet again.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom