CORONAVIRUS 2020 Did Jehovahs Witnesses predict it?

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

CORONAVIRUS 2020 Did Jehovahs Witnesses predict it?

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

This interesting article was published by Jehovahs Witnesses way back in 2006. Do you think the advicein it is practical?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: CORONAVIRUS 2020 Did Jehovahs Witnesses predict it?

Post #11

Post by Purple Knight »

tam wrote:Seemed a little overboard on the pets section, imo.
Wash your hands after touching a domestic animal?

Yes I agree that's excessive.

Wash my hands... after touching my cat?

My indoor cat?

No.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #12

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by JehovahsWitness]

The simple answer to the title of this thread is: NO.

The article provided has no prediction of COVID 19. I read it. Perhaps JW didn't read the article him/herself?

If the claim is watered down to "We predicted a disease was coming" then you are providing no useful information that isn't already known by actual science.

If the claim is "we provided useful information on how to avoid catching a disease" then you are providing no useful information that isn't already known by actual science (then and now).

Have JWs concretely predicted anything based simply on their beliefs that wasn't already an outcome that basic science also predicts? From my recollection of their track record the answer is also "NO".

I implore people to turn to scientists and medical professionals when it comes to the best and latest information we have on disease prevention and treatment. Turning to religious organizations and text written hundreds/thousands of years ago may leave you and your family at risk, not to mention anyone else you have physical contact with.

Pray all you like. Believe whatever you like. However, when it comes to hard science and physical reality, please don't abrogate that with personal beliefs.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #13

benchwarmer wrote: I read it. ..

Excellent! Then my work here is done.

I enjoyed reading it, indeed I'm a regular reader of the AWAKE magazine.

Regards,

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Wootah
Savant

Post #14

Post by Wootah »

Did Asterix predict the coronavirus? Google it.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #15

Post by benchwarmer »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
benchwarmer wrote: I read it. ..

Excellent! Then my work here is done.
Just to be clear, you are confirming that this thread was click bait? i.e. you know full well the article referenced did not make any such prediction, you just wanted to get people to read something? Must not be a very good magazine if those are the lengths required to get people to read some of it. I'm certainly not inspired to read any further unless it's simply to fact check something.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #16

[Replying to post 15 by benchwarmer]

Did you not say you read it? If you did there's no need to speculate on the quality of its content.

JW

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines ... m-disease/

Diagoras
Guru

Post #17

Post by Diagoras »

Wootah wrote: Did Asterix predict the coronavirus? Google it.
Now that’s funny!

Overcomer
Guru

Post #18

Post by Overcomer »

Health officials have been predicting for years now that a pandemic would occur at some point in time. So if the JWs wrote about how to avoid picking up germs from other people, I would say they were motivated to do that by what they read and heard in the media and by the fact that every year brings a flu season.

It reminds me of Mormons saying that Joseph Smith predicted the American Civil War, the possibility of which, again, was written about in secular publications for decades before the war started.

These are not messages from God. They're matters of public knowledge that members of these religions have chosen to write about. Nothing prophetic about them. Just responses to what's being discussed elsewhere.

And yes, the Asterix connection is wonderful! Thank you for it, Wootah!

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #19

Post by benchwarmer »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 15 by benchwarmer]

Did you not say you read it? If you did there's no need to speculate on the quality of its content.
Exactly. I deemed the quality of what I read as useless in regards to the title of the OP. If I want to learn about infectious disease transmission I'm certainly not going to waste my time in Watchtower literature when properly peer reviewed scientific information is available.

Again, what was the point of this thread? I'm pretty sure I nailed it when I called it click bait.

When you have to bait people with a misleading title, I'm guessing it's because the actual information in the article is not worth reading based on a title that would accurately describe it. Seems to fit the bill here.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #20

Overcomer wrote: Health officials have been predicting for years now that a pandemic would occur at some point in time. So if the JWs wrote about how to avoid picking up germs from other people, I would say they were motivated to do that by what they read ...

Yes indeed, the article refers to recommendations by various health officials. It's important to stay well informed, and since the Jehovahs Witness magazines are the most widely distributed magazines on the planet its in my opinion good to see the publishers acting responsibly towards their readership.

JW