Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Thomas123
Sage

The Two Commandments of Matthew 22

Post #1

Post by Thomas123 »

Matthew 22:37-40 
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

This passage is the most sophisticated and best example of moral law that I am aware of ,exists. I feel it is a classic example of when 1+1=3, in that the two parts reference and extend each other beyond what they might achieve separately.

I encourage people to debate the following motion which I will support.
Matthew 22:39 is dependant upon and clarified by Matthew 22:37.

I agree with the Jesus summary that both of these dictates are interrelated and designed to work in tandem.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: The Two Commandments of Matthew 22

Post #2

Post by PinSeeker »

[Replying to post 1 by Thomas Mc Donald]

Before you offer anything, Thomas, I'll confidently postulate that you and I are in near perfect accord on this subject. Therefore, I'll just hang up and listen for now.

Grace and peace to you.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: The Two Commandments of Matthew 22

Post #4

Post by Athetotheist »

Thomas Mc Donald wrote: Matthew 22:37-40 
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

This passage is the most sophisticated and best example of moral law that I am aware of ,exists. I feel it is a classic example of when 1+1=3, in that the two parts reference and extend each other beyond what they might achieve separately.

I encourage people to debate the following motion which I will support.
Matthew 22:39 is dependant upon and clarified by Matthew 22:37.

I agree with the Jesus summary that both of these dictates are interrelated and designed to work in tandem.

In the context of 1 John 4:8, I'd say it can be argued that Matthew 22:37 is dependent upon and clarified by Matthew 22:39.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #5

Post by Thomas123 »

Thank You, Athetotheist, for finding this debate in these Sheol - like depths. I will study your Scripture reference and reply. THANKS

Thomas123
Sage

Post #6

Post by Thomas123 »

John 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

I have to admit to having serious personal issues with the John Gospel. I do not believe that the Jesus figure was ever the only Son of God. I do not believe that Yahweh loves us, except in metaphor. That is my position on this Scripture. My debate concerns the human love response to Yahweh and to 'our neighbour" and the link and interdependance of the two.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Athetotheist »

Thomas Mc Donald wrote: John 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

I have to admit to having serious personal issues with the John Gospel. I do not believe that the Jesus figure was ever the only Son of God. I do not believe that Yahweh loves us, except in metaphor. That is my position on this Scripture. My debate concerns the human love response to Yahweh and to 'our neighbour" and the link and interdependance of the two.
So you believe that the model God for today whom you propose in your other thread is an unloving patriarch who demands unquestioning obedience? Does it make sense to believe that we, being clearly designed to love and to need love, were created by such an unloving entity?

Thomas123
Sage

Post #8

Post by Thomas123 »

[Replying to post 7 by Athetotheist]

This thread is about two types of human love and how they relate to each other, love of God and love of 'neighbour'.

With regard to the other thread which you mention ,permit me to use an analogy.
Patriotism: This is a type of human love given to what? You feel that you are what your country and its community have made you.Hopefully your country has been nurturing and 'loving' to you in return.
All that we are is within Yahweh, the scripture describes Yahweh breathing life into us.It describes our placement into the paradise of Eden alongside Yahweh's other creations. We run with a free will and self awareness that is the euphoria of being uniquely human. Yahweh loves you in this way.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Athetotheist »

Thomas Mc Donald wrote: [Replying to post 7 by Athetotheist]

This thread is about two types of human love and how they relate to each other, love of God and love of 'neighbour'.

With regard to the other thread which you mention ,permit me to use an analogy.
Patriotism: This is a type of human love given to what? You feel that you are what your country and its community have made you.Hopefully your country has been nurturing and 'loving' to you in return.
All that we are is within Yahweh, the scripture describes Yahweh breathing life into us.It describes our placement into the paradise of Eden alongside Yahweh's other creations. We run with a free will and self awareness that is the euphoria of being uniquely human. Yahweh loves you in this way.
Correction: our country and community are what we make of them. Our country is not our god, or at least shouldn't be. In a cosmic sense, a god has to be greater than a country.