Shintoism

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Shintoism

Post #1

Post by DavidLeon »

Shintoism has taken on an extremely subtle and intricate part in Japanese culture and society. From it's inception, even before called Shintoism as it later was due to a necessary distinction from the rising popularity of Buddhism, at the start being more concerned with community during the planting and harvesting seasons than with gods (more accurately kami, spirits).

In 1945 the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki had a devastating effect upon Shinto and Japanese religious faith. Emperor Hirohito was a defeated mortal and the people began to think that there was no God or Buddha. As is always the case with religion, the original teachings are transmogrified to the detriment of the people. The importance of benefiting the community turned into something which became extremely harmful to the community. The gods become men and men fail.

Topic for debate: How does the cultural significance of Shintoism compare with that of Christianity in Christendom, and to what possible harmful effects?

[Note: This post has been edited for debate and the original moved to here
Last edited by DavidLeon on Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I no longer post here

otseng
Savant

Re: Shintoism

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Moderator Comment

In the debate forums, a debate question is required. Please edit the post to include a topic for debate.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Aetixintro »

I disagree with the account of Shintoism. In our Christian monarchies, the fall of monarchies did not mean the fall of Christianity. There's no data to support the claim that "Atheism" stands stronger in Japan than in Europe, the non-Soviet Union nations.

Even today, the monarchies in Europe implies Christian monarchs and not so immortal either. 8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by DavidLeon »

Aetixintro wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:50 pm .
I disagree with the account of Shintoism. In our Christian monarchies, the fall of monarchies did not mean the fall of Christianity.

True, but in Japan it did. I don't know that I would use the term "fall" in application to the Japanese disillusionment of religion in general. It included Buddhism as well as Shintoism.
Aetixintro wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:50 pmThere's no data to support the claim that "Atheism" stands stronger in Japan than in Europe, the non-Soviet Union nations.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that. I should point out that the original post has been moved and the OP edited for debate with a new link should you want to reference the original, but I don't recall having made the suggestion regarding atheism in Japan, Europe and non-Soviet Union nations.
Aetixintro wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:50 pmEven today, the monarchies in Europe implies Christian monarchs and not so immortal either. 8-)
Indeed. And they have probably likewise implied with a great deal of success that they weren't exactly Christian other than in name as well.
I no longer post here