"Only God Can Judge Me"

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Dimmesdale
Scholar
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 5 times

"Only God Can Judge Me"

Post #1

Post by Dimmesdale »

"Only God Can Judge Me"

This is an interesting saying, but is it true? Can judgment of a person rest solely with God, not with human beings?

This statement seems contradicted by the fact that ALL of us judge other people. Even the most forgiving and saintly of us, have moments of righteous indignation where we call other people out on their faults, and feel justified in doing so.

And if we judge that way, then we open the doors for people to judge us. So we cannot be justified in claiming that only God can judge us, whereas we maintain the right to judge others in place of God!

So, in what sense can this statement be construed to be correct?

I think that the validity of this statement can be found in the realm of unconditional love!

In other words, it is not a proscription against judgment so much as a principle to live by. A resting in unconditional love. Not dispensing with judgment but situating it in the perspective of love. Tempering judgment so to speak. When we say "Only God can judge me" we remove ourselves from human judgment, and look to the eternal loving wisdom which preserves us from the general harshness of judgment.

I don't know... I have to think more on this.

User avatar
Miles
Guru
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: "Only God Can Judge Me"

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Dimmesdale wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:39 am "Only God Can Judge Me"

This is an interesting saying, but is it true? Can judgment of a person rest solely with God, not with human beings?

This statement seems contradicted by the fact that ALL of us judge other people. Even the most forgiving and saintly of us, have moments of righteous indignation where we call other people out on their faults, and feel justified in doing so.

And if we judge that way, then we open the doors for people to judge us. So we cannot be justified in claiming that only God can judge us, whereas we maintain the right to judge others in place of God!

So, in what sense can this statement be construed to be correct?

I think that the validity of this statement can be found in the realm of unconditional love!

In other words, it is not a proscription against judgment so much as a principle to live by. A resting in unconditional love. Not dispensing with judgment but situating it in the perspective of love. Tempering judgment so to speak. When we say "Only God can judge me" we remove ourselves from human judgment, and look to the eternal loving wisdom which preserves us from the general harshness of judgment.

I don't know... I have to think more on this.
Q: Who is saying "Only God Can Judge Me," (I've never heard it before) and why is what they say important?

.

Dimmesdale
Scholar
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: "Only God Can Judge Me"

Post #3

Post by Dimmesdale »

Miles wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:39 pm
Dimmesdale wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:39 am "Only God Can Judge Me"

This is an interesting saying, but is it true? Can judgment of a person rest solely with God, not with human beings?

This statement seems contradicted by the fact that ALL of us judge other people. Even the most forgiving and saintly of us, have moments of righteous indignation where we call other people out on their faults, and feel justified in doing so.

And if we judge that way, then we open the doors for people to judge us. So we cannot be justified in claiming that only God can judge us, whereas we maintain the right to judge others in place of God!

So, in what sense can this statement be construed to be correct?

I think that the validity of this statement can be found in the realm of unconditional love!

In other words, it is not a proscription against judgment so much as a principle to live by. A resting in unconditional love. Not dispensing with judgment but situating it in the perspective of love. Tempering judgment so to speak. When we say "Only God can judge me" we remove ourselves from human judgment, and look to the eternal loving wisdom which preserves us from the general harshness of judgment.

I don't know... I have to think more on this.
Q: Who is saying "Only God Can Judge Me," (I've never heard it before) and why is what they say important?

.
Yeah, it's actually not something found (at least explicitly) in the Bible... It's actually from a 2pac song but, I kind of still get it. A lot of people follows its advice which is, in a way to be charitable and set "judgement" in its right perspective, that it isn't absolute....

It's interesting that you say "they" instead of dealing with the subject matter at hand. At least you believe in authority, which is a good thing in my opinion. Well, both good and bad, given other factors.....

User avatar
Miles
Guru
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: "Only God Can Judge Me"

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Dimmesdale wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:15 pm
Miles wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:39 pm
Dimmesdale wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:39 am Q: Who is saying "Only God Can Judge Me," (I've never heard it before) and why is what they say important?

.
Yeah, it's actually not something found (at least explicitly) in the Bible... It's actually from a 2pac song but, I kind of still get it. A lot of people follows its advice which is, in a way to be charitable and set "judgement" in its right perspective, that it isn't absolute....

It's interesting that you say "they" instead of dealing with the subject matter at hand. At least you believe in authority, which is a good thing in my opinion. Well, both good and bad, given other factors.....
I found the subject rather dumb, because I can't imagine anyone ever claiming, "Only God Can Judge X" simply because everyone is judging this, that, and the other thing all the time.

Post Reply