What's the use?

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

What's the use?

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

I was going to comment on the golden statue of you-know-who which was recently set up in the halls of CPAC.

I was going to ask Christians what they think of it. I was going to ask Christians of the fundamentalist variety what they would think of a golden statue of Obama being set up somewhere. I was going to draw an obvious parallel between this and the Golden Calf episode in the biblical story of Exodus.

I was going to do all this, but when I took another look at just how silly this thing appears, dressed like a cross between Gordon Gecko and Apollo Creed and holding a tooth-fairy wand with a star in the end, I figured, "Why bother?" How seriously can even the most ardent idol worshipper take such a piece of schlock?

Miles
Savant

Re: What's the use?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

What a repulsively garish waste of money, and with sandals no less. Yet how fitting as a symbol of Trump's GOP: "It's all about ME folks." But hey, want to waste your life's savings on creating silly trash, it's better than donating it to the party.

"The statue that is turning heads at CPAC is really just an appetizer for the real thing though. It’s the fiberglass mold of the stainless steel sculpture that Zegan has stored in Tampa. Making that statue cost him his “life savings” of $50,000. He apparently wants to sell that one for more than $1 million but if he can’t sell it he wants it to go in the Trump Presidential Library. “It is museum-quality, and that’s the one I’m eventually hoping to get in the Trump library,” Zegan told CNN. “It is literally priceless.”
source

Personally, I'm delighted with it.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: What's the use?

Post #3

Post by Purple Knight »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:26 am I was going to comment on the golden statue of you-know-who which was recently set up in the halls of CPAC.
I thought... until I saw the picture... that they'd put up a statue of Lord Voldemort. I was going to be like, heck yeah, alright! Now that's how you play the demographics. You want the pureblood vote? You got it.

I scrolled down. I was disappointed.

That said, I don't think anyone who likes it is actually worshiping it.