An Admission

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Dimmesdale
Sage

An Admission

Post #1

Post by Dimmesdale »

I have to admit something. Something that some of you regulars have probably noticed in my time spent here.

That is, that my interests in conversations on this forum are pretty narrow and limited, and that I often just pick at subjects without going too deep into them. This is because I happen to be a very low-empathy creature and don't have much patience going into the details of others' arguments - unless I am put on the spot and am very much obliged to do so. I am someone who doesn't care much about topics that don't immediately relate to my own "thing" - whatever that may be presently, and even that is narrow.

That's just me; I can't help it. I have tried forcing myself, the past few weeks even, to be more proactive, to try to contribute more. But as it stands my nature is very fixed and immovable. There is nothing to be done about it, at least anytime soon.

But I can always hope and pray that my nature may become more open and flexible and empathetic. I hope that I am at least somewhat of a light for others, in spite of my self-centeredness. There is always hope, even for those of us with little to no empathy. We are all wounded in some ways. All we can do is make the best use of what we got. That is all anyone can ask of us. And I am grateful to God that he has given me a brain to use in his service, however meager that intellect may be.

Thank you all who have helped me in the ages spent thus far on this message board. I want to say I appreciate you all, as far as my ability goes. And I'm not being sarcastic. I am genuinely grateful. I thank all the people who have liked my posts. I deeply appreciate it.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: An Admission

Post #2

Post by Purple Knight »

I also have very low empathy by nature. Compared to me, you're a saint.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Athetotheist »

Dimmesdale wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:28 pm I have to admit something. Something that some of you regulars have probably noticed in my time spent here.

That is, that my interests in conversations on this forum are pretty narrow and limited, and that I often just pick at subjects without going too deep into them. This is because I happen to be a very low-empathy creature and don't have much patience going into the details of others' arguments - unless I am put on the spot and am very much obliged to do so. I am someone who doesn't care much about topics that don't immediately relate to my own "thing" - whatever that may be presently, and even that is narrow.

That's just me; I can't help it. I have tried forcing myself, the past few weeks even, to be more proactive, to try to contribute more. But as it stands my nature is very fixed and immovable. There is nothing to be done about it, at least anytime soon.

But I can always hope and pray that my nature may become more open and flexible and empathetic. I hope that I am at least somewhat of a light for others, in spite of my self-centeredness. There is always hope, even for those of us with little to no empathy. We are all wounded in some ways. All we can do is make the best use of what we got. That is all anyone can ask of us. And I am grateful to God that he has given me a brain to use in his service, however meager that intellect may be.

Thank you all who have helped me in the ages spent thus far on this message board. I want to say I appreciate you all, as far as my ability goes. And I'm not being sarcastic. I am genuinely grateful. I thank all the people who have liked my posts. I deeply appreciate it.
Maybe you're not as low-empathy as you make yourself out to be. Maybe you're just used to thinking of yourself as low-empathy, so your potential for empathy has gone untapped.

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #4

Post by Dimmesdale »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:49 pm I also have very low empathy by nature. Compared to me, you're a saint.
Oh, I'm not a saint. I'm an "Ain't" to quote a certain metal artist. :crazy:

But I try to be humble at least. Emphasis "try." And use common sense. Something in short supply in this current age.
Last edited by Dimmesdale on Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #5

Post by Dimmesdale »

Athetotheist wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:03 am
Dimmesdale wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:28 pm I have to admit something. Something that some of you regulars have probably noticed in my time spent here.

Maybe you're not as low-empathy as you make yourself out to be. Maybe you're just used to thinking of yourself as low-empathy, so your potential for empathy has gone untapped.
Meh. Maybe to some extent that dynamic exists as well. Actually, I'm sure it does. I can spend hours psycho analyzing myself, why I did this, why I did that. The problem is, it doesn't bear much fruit for me.

I'm humble, arrogant, falsely modest and desperately sincere all simultaneously. It's a quantum soup. All I can do is roll with it and keep trekking on on the journey.

Keep keepin' on muh peeps.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Purple Knight »

Dimmesdale wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:33 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:49 pm I also have very low empathy by nature. Compared to me, you're a saint.
Oh, I'm not a saint. I'm an "Ain't" to quote a certain metal artist. :crazy:

But I try to be humble at least. Emphasis "try." And use common sense. Something in short supply in this current age.
I'm not humble and I don't bother trying because it would just be false humility.

I prefer to be honest. I'm usually damned for it.

Trust me, you're a saint compared to me. Everyone is. At least, everyone who's not a psychopath is. I'm a confirmed one. I must use my intellect to do the things normal people do by rote, like be considerate of each other. They laugh at me when they see me using a foot to do a hand's job. And I feel no ill will toward them. I mean, who wouldn't laugh?

But of course, I'm not allowed to, because this isn't funny. This is a thalidomide victim, you monster.