The New Fake Math

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

WebersHome
Guru

The New Fake Math

Post #1

Post by WebersHome »

In order to protect Black and Hispanic children from the alleged destructive effects of racism and white supremacy, the State of Oregon is proposing that teachers no longer expect right answers nor require kids to show their work.

In other words; all will be dumbed down in the name of equality rather than any urged to excel; which of course assumes that, as a bloc, certain races are IQ challenged; giving Caucasians and Asians an unfair advantage.

* Apparently the long-range goal is to have everyone laboring on collective farms chopping cotton and harvesting lettuce.
_
Last edited by WebersHome on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sherlock Holmes

Re: The New Fake Math

Post #11

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

I took a quick peek at the first "tool" found here.

I must say that I don't find it presented terribly well, it is full of blanket assertions with no explanation or examples to support the assertions.

I'm not saying they don't have a serious point, but I have trouble establishing a context, a background document that explains the problems, some metrics and so on would have helped.

The "plans" themselves are also pretty complex, could be a burden on teachers, so many steps with so many potential pitfalls for a teacher, I'd be scared to teach with all this complexity dumped on me, just that first document is 85 pages long!

Consider this from page 60:
White supremacy culture shows up in math classrooms when...
Contrived word problems are valued over the math in students' lived experiences.
I don't see how one can prove that claim, furthermore languages are not the same as skin color. In a predominantly English speaking country one must expect to be exposed to English more than say Guajarati.

English being dominant is not the same as racism nor is it White Supremacy.

So I'm not impressed with the presentation or the simplistic assumptions.