It is a Good Thing

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Dimmesdale
Sage

It is a Good Thing

Post #1

Post by Dimmesdale »

Not to get the last word in a nasty debate. Especially if it adds nothing to the subject at hand. If it adds nothing to truth. I leave conquest to those who wish to have that. I have better things to be occupied with, than getting the last word in. A whole world, in fact, is at my fingertips -- I'm just too lazy to explore it, and therefore in my worst moments I settle for the water contained in the paw prints of dogs, rather than the Ocean that I can at least begin wading into. There was a time when I had to strike the final nail into the chest of my interlocutor. Now I am not so concerned with that. It tempts me, but I rightly see it as useless. As for my debating foe, you can go ahead and strike your nail into my chest. But don't be surprised to find it stainless and adamantine. I can safely ignore your mosquito proboscis.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Diagoras
Guru

Re: It is a Good Thing

Post #2

Post by Diagoras »

“He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.”– Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Remember: there are often many more people observing a particular debate than participating in it. You may never know just how many ‘invisible’ minds are swayed more by a judicious retreat than a stinging final word.

Dimmesdale
Sage

Re: It is a Good Thing

Post #3

Post by Dimmesdale »

Diagoras wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:56 pm “He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.”– Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Right. But does truth itself wage war? Or does it seize victory by the influence of it's own lovingkindness, it's own verity? Perhaps that is how God conquers - not through any engines or even policies. It is we only who must grapple with ideas ham-handedly.
Diagoras wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:56 pmRemember: there are often many more people observing a particular debate than participating in it. You may never know just how many ‘invisible’ minds are swayed more by a judicious retreat than a stinging final word.
Can't disagree with that.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein