Breaking Down Luke 22:36

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Amos Ministries
Student

Breaking Down Luke 22:36

Post #1

Post by Amos Ministries »

Luke 22:36 - He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

At first glance of Luke 22:36, it is easy to assume that Jesus is telling us to equip ourselves with different things such as money and a sword, before going out to preach the gospel. However, in this scripture, Jesus is referring to items such as a bag, money belt/purse, sword, and cloak, as spiritual items. Jesus did not condone physical violence of any kind and so there is a deeper meaning behind his instructions.

Let’s take a closer look at:

Luke 10:1, 4-5 & 7 - After this, the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go...4 Do not take a purse or bag or sandals; and do not greet anyone on the road. 5 “When you enter a house, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’...7 Stay there, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house.

Jesus is stating that the disciples will be provided for through the preaching of the gospel and they will receive these wages for their work which is preaching the gospel.

In Luke 22:35-36, Jesus states:

Luke 22:35-36 - And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no money bag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.” 36 He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

If Jesus was speaking literally, then he seems to be contradicting himself in Luke 12:22-33, where he said that God would provide for them:

Luke 12:22-33 - Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? 26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

27 “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith! 29 And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30 For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.

32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

However, this is not the case. Paul states, after Jesus’ death and resurrection:

1 Corinthians 9:3-12 & 18 - 3 This is my defense to those who sit in judgment on me. 4 Don’t we have the right to food and drink? 5 Don’t we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord’s brothers and Cephas? 6 Or is it only I and Barnabas who lack the right to not work for a living?

Paul is stating that preachers of the gospel have the right not to work for a living as the world does, since they are working through the preaching of the gospel.

continued...1 Corinthians 9:7

2 Corinthians 8:1-7

The Phillipian church, which was another Macedonian church also sent financial aid to Paul.

Acts 16:12 - From there we traveled to Philippi, a Roman colony and the leading city of that district of Macedonia. And we stayed there several days.

Phillipians 4:14-18

As we can see, Paul was provided for through other churches which is why he stated:

2 Corinthians 11:7-9 - Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God to you free of charge? 8 I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you. 9 And when I was with you and needed something, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied what I needed. I have kept myself from being a burden to you in any way, and will continue to do so.

So now we understand why Paul stated:

1 Corinthians 9:12 - If others have this right of support from you, shouldn’t we have it all the more?

But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.

In order to preach the gospel free of charge to the Corinthians, Paul used the aid he received from other churches. This does not mean that Paul did not receive wages for his work in the preaching of the gospel.

Continued...1 Corinthians 9:13-14 - Don’t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

Paul is clearly stating that preachers of the gospel should receive their living from the gospel. Paul also speaks of this in 1 Timothy 5:17-18.

And so in no way has this concept been nullified which Jesus stated in Luke 10:7.

My point is that Jesus is speaking about spiritual items in Luke 22:35-36. He is not saying that God will not provide and look after you, so you had better look after yourself, which it seemed like he was stating.

Let’s examine the evidence of the meaning behind Luke 22:35-36. Jesus is speaking of spiritual items in this scripture. A spiritual bag:

Job 14:17 - my transgression would be sealed up in a bag, and you would cover over my iniquity.

We can see confirmation of this in:

Luke 22:37 - For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about me has its fulfillment.”

This means that people will call both Jesus and his followers, transgressors due to not agreeing with his interpretation of the word of God, and they will need God's protection regarding people's allegations of these transgressions.

Isaiah 51:7-8 - Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, you people in whose heart is My law: Do not fear the reproach of men, Nor be afraid of their insults. 8For the moth will eat them up like a garment, And the worm will eat them like wool; but My righteousness will be forever, And My salvation from generation to generation.”

See also 2 Chronicles 36:15-16, Acts 7:52, 1 Thessalonians 2:14-16

And no matter how much the people try to curse Jesus and his followers, God will continue to bless them.

Genesis 12:3 - I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”

A spiritual money belt/purse:

Luke 12:33 - Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

Jesus is speaking about a spiritual sword in this scripture.

Ephesians 6:17 - Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

See also Hebrews 4:12, Isaiah 49:2 & Revelation 1:16

And a spiritual cloak:

Isaiah 59:17 - He put on righteousness like a breastplate, and the helmet of salvation on His head; He put on garments of vengeance and wrapped Himself in a cloak of zeal.

Jesus would not be advising the disciples to carry weapons when he clearly rebuked Peter for using a weapon in self defence.

Matthew 26:51-52 - With that, one of Jesus’ companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear. 52 “Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

Jesus clearly stated ALL those who take up the sword will die by the sword. This was not meant for Peter only but for EVERYONE. Self defence is violence in the eyes of God.

Revelation 13:10 - He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

If Jesus meant literal swords in Luke 22:36, then when the guards came to arrest him, he would not have asked why he is being treated like someone who is inciting violence:

Luke 22:52 - Then Jesus said to the chief priests, the officers of the temple guard, and the elders, who had come for him, "Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come with swords and clubs?

Jesus is clearly stating that he is being treated as one who incites violence and insurrection. Obviously, Jesus was not speaking about literal swords in Luke 22:36

So then, it is obvious that Jesus is not condoning violence nor is he speaking of a physical sword. Jesus is speaking of a spiritual sword in Luke 22:36, which is the word of God.

This is why Jesus stated

Matthew 10:34 - “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Luke says it this way:

Luke 12:51 - Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division.

As we can see, Jesus was speaking of a spiritual sword not a literal one.

This is why when the disciples responded and pointed out two literal physical swords, Jesus rebuked them for missing the point. Unfortunately, people are still missing the point today.

Luke 22:38 – The disciples said, “Lord, here are two swords!” “Enough of that!” Jesus replied.

Due to Jesus’ lack of explanation on this subject, Peter did not understand that he was referring to a spiritual sword at the time. And so, we find Peter carrying a sword, and ready to use it in self defence, until Jesus explains matters further to him, in the garden of Gethsemane in Matthew 26:51-52.

otseng
Savant

Re: Breaking Down Luke 22:36

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

Amos Ministries
Student

Re: Breaking Down Luke 22:36

Post #3

Post by Amos Ministries »

If you disagree please explain why?