One man's "Eternal Life" plan comes to an abrupt end.

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

One man's "Eternal Life" plan comes to an abrupt end.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

The Missionary Position
2018 Darwin Award Winner

World Explorer or Christian Martyr? The most isolated tribe on Earth kills Selfie Seeker

(14 November 2018, Andaman Islands, India) John Allen Chau, a self proclaimed world explorer inspired by Livingston and Jesus, was killed by the very tribe of natives he was offering eternal life. According to the BBC in Delhi, Chau bribed six fishermen to ferry him to the off-limits island so he could offer the Sentinelese tribe gifts of scissors, a soccer ball, and Jesus.

In a letter he wrote to his family, this Vancouver resident and Alabama native said he wanted to make contact with the 60,000 year old tribe because "The eternal [life] of this [Sentinelese] tribe is at hand."

https://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2018-13.html
This is perhaps one way to combat overpopulation.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: One man's "Eternal Life" plan comes to an abrupt end.

Post #2

Post by Purple Knight »

The truth about religious people is that they're nicer than atheists think, because pushy religious people who do things like this turn people off and shut people down. When they show up at my door, I have to admit, sharpened wooden spears do enter my mind.

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

As the linked article goes on to say, " 'He paddled to the island in a kayak and was immediately "attacked by arrows but continued walking,' stated the global news agency AFP. The fishermen then witnessed the natives "tying a rope around his neck and dragging his body" along the shore. They were clearly rejecting his gifts."

It's almost as if religion makes a person dumb.

Some of the reader comments:

"Paper beats rock, rock beats scissors, arrow beats bible." -C.Reece
"Suicide by pride." -M.Martensson
"Natural Selection Strikes Again." -N.Magouirk
"Ignorance and arrogance, a dangerous combination." -S.Gibson
"The cure for total stupidity: Arrows." -S.Naf
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes." -S,Coghan

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:20 pmIt's almost as if religion makes a person dumb.
He's not dumb; he's just evaluating that the risk of death is perfectly fine if it helps people find Jesus. It is arrogance though. He thinks he knows best. He wants to help people who don't want his help.

It's something I've learned better than. If someone wants my help, great. If they don't, I don't get pushy. I'm arrogant but holy carp I'm not that arrogant. I don't know better than others what help they want and don't want, need and don't need, for a life they have lived and I have not.

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:53 am
Miles wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:20 pmIt's almost as if religion makes a person dumb.

He's not dumb;
he's just evaluating that the risk of death is perfectly fine if it helps people find Jesus. It is arrogance though. He thinks he knows best. He wants to help people who don't want his help.
And you don't think that's dumb!

dumb [ duhm ]
adjective, dumb·er, dumb·est.
lacking intelligence or good judgment; stupid; dull-witted.

Okay. Image

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:46 amAnd you don't think that's dumb!
Dumb? Not at all. He knew it was dangerous. He accepted the risk. He thought it was worth it. His judgment was fine, and perfectly in line with his priorities. People can have whatever priorities they like. And sometimes some people do know better than others. For example, I think I know better than that fellow, getting himself killed for people who don't give a fig for him. The only difference between him and I is that I don't believe in pushing things on people when they don't want them, even if I think it would help them.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:04 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:46 amAnd you don't think that's dumb!
Dumb? Not at all. He knew it was dangerous. He accepted the risk. He thought it was worth it. His judgment was fine, and perfectly in line with his priorities. People can have whatever priorities they like. And sometimes some people do know better than others. For example, I think I know better than that fellow, getting himself killed for people who don't give a fig for him. The only difference between him and I is that I don't believe in pushing things on people when they don't want them, even if I think it would help them.
So

"He paddled to the island in a kayak and was immediately attacked by arrows but continued walking,"

isn't dumb, "lacking good judgment," but the smart thing to do. Fine judgement in fact.

Okey dokey. I think I'm through here. :whistle:

.................. Have a good day PK.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:31 pmSo

"He paddled to the island in a kayak and was immediately attacked by arrows but continued walking,"

isn't dumb, "lacking good judgment," but the smart thing to do. Fine judgement in fact.
Yep. If you want to die. Or if don't care about your own life as much as what you serve by keeping going. Like I said, people are allowed to have their own priorities.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:53 am
He's not dumb; he's just evaluating that the risk of death is perfectly fine if it helps people find Jesus.
I don't know if this kid was dumb or not, but his plan was. No one "found Jesus" as a result of his ill conceived effort. It's doubtful he could have communicated with this group even if they didn't kill him. It was a foolish attempt that resulted in the loss of the only life we can be sure this kid had. He's dead and nobody got "saved." No "Eternal Life", ignoring for a moment the absurdity of that concept, was granted to anyone. One temporary life, the only kind we know exists, was ended. A total waste.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I got dared that time there to do a back flip out of a tree into a couple feet of water.

Let me back up... I got drunk, and got dared there to do me a back flip out of a tree into a couple feet of water.

I broke two ribs.

As dumb as that was, it ain't nowhere near walking past the arrows to your death dumb.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin