One man's "Eternal Life" plan comes to an abrupt end.

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

One man's "Eternal Life" plan comes to an abrupt end.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

The Missionary Position
2018 Darwin Award Winner

World Explorer or Christian Martyr? The most isolated tribe on Earth kills Selfie Seeker

(14 November 2018, Andaman Islands, India) John Allen Chau, a self proclaimed world explorer inspired by Livingston and Jesus, was killed by the very tribe of natives he was offering eternal life. According to the BBC in Delhi, Chau bribed six fishermen to ferry him to the off-limits island so he could offer the Sentinelese tribe gifts of scissors, a soccer ball, and Jesus.

In a letter he wrote to his family, this Vancouver resident and Alabama native said he wanted to make contact with the 60,000 year old tribe because "The eternal [life] of this [Sentinelese] tribe is at hand."

https://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2018-13.html
This is perhaps one way to combat overpopulation.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

HarlanGeorge
Student

Re: One man's "Eternal Life" plan comes to an abrupt end.

Post #11

Post by HarlanGeorge »

I look at the actions of this young man and I see ignorance. His actions were based on a desire to spread his religion to a group of religious beliefs that differed from his. Motivated by what was likely the dogma of his own faith, his choice to mission to these secluded people was a dangerous decision. Dangerous to him, but more importantly dangerous to isolated people who have not been exposed to the possible diseases he carried. Maybe what they did actually saved lives?

Besides ignorance, he was also arrogant. Arrogant to believe that his beliefs were so important that they should now override whatever beliefs currently exist. Perhaps they would be better off not becoming a follower of a religion that has so much blood on its hands? A religion that doesn't force their beliefs on others or risk eternal damnation. A religion that is not centered upon an angry, jealous, misogynistic, murderous, and sadistic deity.
The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

ALBERT EINSTEIN