"Norway’s women’s beach handball team fined for appearing at a match wearing shorts instead of bikini bottoms"

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

"Norway’s women’s beach handball team fined for appearing at a match wearing shorts instead of bikini bottoms"

Post #1

Post by Miles »

CURRENT NEWS ITEM
--- first appearance 7/20/21

"When you go exercising or doing some kind of sport, you decide for yourself what you want to wear and what you would be comfortable with. But for professional athletes, it’s different, as they have uniforms that are appropriate for the sport they do, representing their country and oftentimes displaying sponsors’ logos.

However, the national women’s handball team of Norway has had enough of their uniforms as they thought they were too revealing, and in protest, they wore shorts instead of bikini bottoms. Now the team is facing a fine of €1,500 ($1,766) for breaking uniform regulations.

...........................Image

According to the International Handball Federation’s rule book, “Athletes’ uniforms and accessories contribute to helping athletes increase their performance as well as remain coherent with the sportive and attractive image of the sport.”

When describing what the bottom part of women’s uniforms should look like, it is said, “Female athletes must wear bikini bottoms that are with a close fit and cut on an upward angle toward the top of the leg. The side width must be of a maximum of 10 centimetres [about 4 inches]."

The Norwegian players spoke up that they feel these uniforms are too revealing, making them feel uncomfortable and unnecessarily sexualized.

Before the championship started, Norway approached the European Handball Federation asking to let their team play in shorts; however, they were not allowed to and were reminded that breaching of the rules would be punished by fines or disqualification.
source and more

So, your opinion: Are bikini bottoms too revealing or not? Keep in mind that competitors in other womens sports wear "revealing" uniforms as well.

Miles
Savant

Re: "Norway’s women’s beach handball team fined for appearing at a match wearing shorts instead of bikini bottoms"

Post #11

Post by Miles »

tam wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:42 pm Peace to you all (truly)!

Why is it always men arguing over what women should or should not wear?
But it isn't always men, and the issue here is a prime example: women here are arguing over what they should or should not wear.

I'm pretty sure we can figure it out for ourselves 8-)
As long what you figure out falls within the Federation's rules.

Tcg
Savant

Re: "Norway’s women’s beach handball team fined for appearing at a match wearing shorts instead of bikini bottoms"

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

tam wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:42 pm Peace to you all (truly)!

Why is it always men arguing over what women should or should not wear?

I'm pretty sure we can figure it out for ourselves 8-)
Exactly. And these women should be allowed to do that without paying a penalty for doing so.
Of course if you just want to post pics of women in bikinis, don't let me stand in your way ; )
The only picture I posted was about as far from a bikini as one could get. Of course one could probably make a sound argument that that outfit was dictated by men at that time as well.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Miles in post #11]

Look, here's women on the beach:

And since they're on the beach and well beach sports are played on the beach it only follows that this attire should become the new Olympic standard for all beach sport uniforms.

Tcg

Miles
Savant

Post #14

Post by Miles »

Tcg wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:07 pm [Replying to Miles in post #11]

Look, here's women on the beach:

And since they're on the beach and well beach sports are played on the beach it only follows that this attire should become the new Olympic standard for all beach sport uniforms.
My remark, "AND I bet everyone of them wears a bikini to the beach" and the accompanying two photos wasn't to point up the fact that females in general wear bikinis to the beach, but that it's almost a sure bet that the twelve Norwegian whiners, like other Norwegian female beach-goers, wear bikinis to the beach when hanging out, so their protest comes across as a publicity seeking sham.

Moreover, It's too late to admit women in burqas to the games because there's already a prohibitive International Handball Federation uniform rule in place. However, I'm sure the Federation's Rules Committee would be willing to look at any suggestions for future tournaments, be they be pants, pantaloons, or burqas. . . . . . . . . . Just don't hold your breath. :mrgreen:

Tcg
Savant

Post #15

Post by Tcg »

Thankfully there are a group of decent men close to this issue who support these women and their right to choose what they want to wear:

Norwegian Women's Beach Handball Team Reacts to Being Fined for Not Playing in Bikini Bottoms

Berg [Julie Aspelund Berg - team member] said, "Hopefully, we would make a statement now and maybe they will change the rules."

She also said that the team has received support from the Norwegian men's beach handball team and from most other teams from around the world.

<bolding mine>

https://www.eonline.com/news/1292799/no ... ni-bottoms
Is good to see support for these courageous young women.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

More good news. Pink is showing her support of Norway's women's beach handball team:

Pink offers to pay fines for Norwegian women's beach handball team as they protest 'sexist' bikini mandate

"I'm VERY proud of the Norwegian female beach handball team FOR PROTESTING THE VERY SEXIST RULES ABOUT THEIR 'uniform'. The European handball federation SHOULD BE FINED FOR SEXISM," Pink wrote in a tweet on Saturday. "Good on ya, ladies. I'll be happy to pay your fines for you. Keep it up."

https://ew.com/music/pink-norwegian-wom ... i-protest/
While the fine isn't very large, Pink's involvement will bring even wider attention to the efforts of these young women. Good on her.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #17

Post by Miles »

Tcg wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:14 pm [Replying to Miles in post #11]

More good news. Pink is showing her support of Norway's women's beach handball team:

Pink offers to pay fines for Norwegian women's beach handball team as they protest 'sexist' bikini mandate

"I'm VERY proud of the Norwegian female beach handball team FOR PROTESTING THE VERY SEXIST RULES ABOUT THEIR 'uniform'. The European handball federation SHOULD BE FINED FOR SEXISM," Pink wrote in a tweet on Saturday. "Good on ya, ladies. I'll be happy to pay your fines for you. Keep it up."

https://ew.com/music/pink-norwegian-wom ... i-protest/
While the fine isn't very large, Pink's involvement will bring even wider attention to the efforts of these young women. Good on her.
Yeah, for someone whose net worth is estimated at $200 million, $1,766 is quite an offer. My guess is that $1,766 is buying hundreds of thousands of dollars in promotion, and Pink knows it. But as usual people are still duped by celebrity endorsement and approval. Go figure.

Tcg
Savant

Post #18

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

Here's the opinion that matters. Norway's women's beach handball team expresses their opinion. Not surprisingly, they are agreed with:
Norway's beach handball protest is about a lot more than bikinis

Each Norwegian handball rebel was fined 150 euros (about $170), which the Norwegian Handball Federation says it will pay. But this act of defiance did not come out of nowhere — the Norwegian women say they have been complaining to the IHF about the bikini-bottoms problem since at least 2006. In their mind, the fact that they have to compete in skimpy uniforms, when their male counterparts do not, is a sexist double standard.

And they’re right.

Women in sports are often put in a no-win situation, at times being told that while competing they have to wear revealing uniforms that feminize and sexualize their appearance by appealing to the male gaze, while at other times being chastised for their clothing being too revealing, a policing of the morality of women.

<bolding added to emphasize the opinion that matters the most.>

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/n ... cna1274739
It's encouraging to see that their voices are finally being heard on a global scale. It's sad to realize it's taken this long.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

tam
Savant

Post #19

Post by tam »

[Replying to Tcg in post #19]

Thanks for posting that article. I thought I had read that the team had been protesting for some time, and finally they just decided to take the fine and wear what they feel comfortable wearing. Good for their league to be supporting them and paying the bill.

And if the 'federation' couldn't see which way the wind was going to be blowing on this matter, they've got their heads buried in the sand.

Especially considering (as difflugia pointed out) the difference between theirs and the men's uniforms, which the man's uniform is no different than what he could wear anywhere, on any sunny summer day (shorts and a tank top).

Peace again to you all.

Miles
Savant

Post #20

Post by Miles »

Tcg wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:03 pm [Replying to Miles in post #1]

Here's the opinion that matters. Norway's women's beach handball team expresses their opinion. Not surprisingly, they are agreed with:
Norway's beach handball protest is about a lot more than bikinis

Each Norwegian handball rebel was fined 150 euros (about $170), which the Norwegian Handball Federation says it will pay. But this act of defiance did not come out of nowhere — the Norwegian women say they have been complaining to the IHF about the bikini-bottoms problem since at least 2006. In their mind, the fact that they have to compete in skimpy uniforms, when their male counterparts do not, is a sexist double standard.

And they’re right.

SO, they wouldn't care one wit that their bikinis are "too revealing" if their male counterparts wore skimpy uniforms as well? Better make up your minds girls because you can't have it both ways.

As if they don't wear bikinis when relaxing at the beach.Image C'mon man, they're duping everyone with their phony complaint of "too revealing" bikini bottoms.

Thing is, you don't hear women in other regulated sporting events and even those on other beach handball teams whining about wearing bikinis or other "revealing" sports wear.

My guess is that the athletes above rather welcome the freedom of movement such sports wear gives them, and as focused competitors they couldn't care less that someone might find them appealing. Only the immature mind would focus on such a trivial aspect in competition, and maybe that's what's going on here; immature minds caught up in a concocted, inconsequential issue.