The Sound Of Silence

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The Sound Of Silence

Post #1

Post by William »

Q: Can Silence Actually Drive You Crazy?

If anything, sound is more likely to drive one crazy, than silence.

A personality will use their brains to fill the silence with the sound of their inner voice and these sounds can translate to pictures [visions aka hallucinations] on the mind screen.

Q: If silence could make someone crazy, how is it that this does not occur to deaf people?

My A: There is other stimuli [visual] which the personality can focus on.

Observation:

In the video, the Silence Room is also made completely dark.

The only sound made is whatever the persons body produces. Non-sound still heard by the personality as sound, is accomplished through the internal voice of [which is largely of] the personality itself.

Deaf people might experience that inner voice more through the visual aspect of the 'inner voice' re "a picture paints a thousand words" and words being 'sounds'.
Blind people, the other way around.

Just as blind folk can feel objects which in turn gives them "pictures" of the object in their mind, perhaps deaf people can 'hear' through the vibrations that things produce, and create "sounds" in their minds through that process?

We know that sound produces order from chaos.

The Evidence:

Sample One:

Sample Two:

A Theist Claim:

"We exist within a Creation and The Creator used Sound to create and maintain the Universe."

The Evidence:

Sample One:

"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." ~ Genesis 1:3

Sample Two:

Conclusion:
FOR DEBATE:

Sound Creates The Universe.

Theism taught this before science proved it to be the truth.

Once again. Nature has surprised us, beyond our wildest imagination.

Miles
Savant

Re: The Sound Of Silence

Post #2

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:29 pm

Conclusion:
FOR DEBATE:

Sound Creates The Universe.
If you're thinking the foregoing videos prove, or are evidence for, this claim you are mistaken.

Theism taught this before science proved it to be the truth.
Assuming you're conclusion that "sound creates the universe" is true, just how, or where, has theism taught this? AND, just where and when did science prove Sound Creates The Universe?

Once again. Nature has surprised us, beyond our wildest imagination.
Don't know about "beyond our wildest imagination," but it certainly has surprised us from time to time.

tam
Savant

Post #3

Post by tam »

Peace to you!
[Replying to Miles in post #2]

Assuming you're conclusion that "sound creates the universe" is true, just how, or where, has theism taught this?

And God SAID, "Let there be light."

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

tam wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:42 pm Peace to you!

Assuming you're conclusion that "sound creates the universe" is true, just how, or where, has theism taught this?

Of course!! Because that's what the universe is, L I G H T. Not stars, planets, asteroids, comets, black holes, and such, but. l i g h t. :roll:.... And let's not forget that before he spoke light into being he had already created other stuff, like the sky, earth, and water, and with no reason to suppose he could only do so by speaking.

Genesis 1:1-2
"1 God created the sky and the earth. At first, 2 the earth was completely empty. There was nothing on the earth. Darkness covered the ocean, and God’s Spirit moved over the water.

In any case, these aren't things theism teaches, but what Judaism and Christianity teach.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #5

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to William in post #1]

Sorry for the off topic comment, but the idea that 'silence' can drive someone crazy resonates with me. I'm very sensitive to any noise when I'm trying to fall asleep or otherwise enjoying quiet time. The slightest sounds (particularly low frequency bass beats from neighbors music, etc) drive me kind of nuts. I have attempted to 'solve' this by using really good hearing protection, but when I do that I have the issue described by the video. I can hear my own heartbeat and then that drives me nuts. I am able to eventually tune out my own heartbeat, but it's still hard.

I think it has to do with control for me. If I can't turn off an annoying sound, my stress level goes up. I certainly don't want to be turning off my heart :D

Anyways, sorry for the diversion. Back to the OP.

Sound is a pressure wave that must travel through something to propagate. How could sound do anything before anything exists?

Regarding God saying anything, again, the sound would have to travel through something to do anything. I would think the intention and god magic would do the creating, not pressure waves that have to travel through something to get anywhere.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

What is the question(s) for debate?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sound needs it a medium through which to pass, and if we're pedantic, an ear to hear it.

Either this medium is created simultaneously with this sound, or the sound somehow created the medium through which it travels.

What created this sound? What set these compression waves in motion?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Athetotheist »

Silence does not drive you crazy. Many people are profoundly deaf and perfectly sane.

tam
Savant

Post #10

Post by tam »

Peace to you!
Miles wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:55 pm
tam wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:42 pm Peace to you!

Of course!! Because that's what the universe is, L I G H T. Not stars, planets, asteroids, comets, black holes, and such, but. l i g h t. :roll:.... And let's not forget that before he spoke light into being he had already created other stuff, like the sky, earth, and water, and with no reason to suppose he could only do so by speaking.

Genesis 1:1-2
"1 God created the sky and the earth. At first, 2 the earth was completely empty. There was nothing on the earth. Darkness covered the ocean, and God’s Spirit moved over the water.
That's a pretty liberal translation.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

6 And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7 So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8 God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

9 And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.

From the rest of the account, you can see that the sky, the seas, the land, didn't come until the second day. So that the 'waters' and the 'earth' and 'the deep' are something else (something spiritual). Even the 'earth' is described as being formless here (which cannot describe the planet).

The light came before all those other things.

Christ BEING that light, the firstborn over all creation, through whom God made all other things.

I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

And this is the verdict: The Light has come into the world, but men loved the darkness rather than the Light because their deeds were evil. John 3:19

Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made that has been made. 4In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. There came a man who was sent from God. His name was John. 7He came as a witness to testify about the Light, so that through him everyone might believe. 8He himself was not the Light, but he came to testify about the Light. The TRUE Light who gives light to every man was coming into the world. 10He was in the world, and though the world was made through Him, the world did not recognize Him. John 1:4-9

He is the Light, the Life, the Word (including the Word who came to the prophets, as recorded in the OT).
In any case, these aren't things theism teaches, but what Judaism and Christianity teach.
Ok, no worries.

Peace again to you!