Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

WebersHome
Guru

Why The Shepherds?

Post #1

Post by WebersHome »

Luke 2:8-20

Not just why the shepherds; but why only the shepherds?
_

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: Why The Shepherds?

Post #2

Post by Athetotheist »

In Hindu belief, the nativity of Krishna was attended by shepherds. That seems to be one of many similarities between them.

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

WebersHome wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:18 am .
Luke 2:8-20

Not just why the shepherds; but why only the shepherds?
_
Mark 1:7-11

Not just Jesus, but why only Jesus?

WebersHome
Guru

Post #4

Post by WebersHome »

As it turned out, the shepherds were useful as heralds.

Luke 2:16-18 . . So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them.

The hearers were entertained but apparently not persuaded because to my knowledge none of them went to see for themselves-- that was not the best response.

Acts 13:41 . . Look on, you mockers, be amazed and perish. For I am doing something in your own day, something you wouldn't believe no matter who tells you about it.

» I'm curious to know why the angels didn't themselves rattle Bethlehem instead of leaving it to the shepherds.
_

WebersHome
Guru

Post #5

Post by WebersHome »

Luke 2:8-11 . . And in the same region there were some shepherds staying out in the fields, and keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of The Lord suddenly stood before them, and the glory of The Lord shone around them; and they were terribly frightened.

. . . And the angel said to them: Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy which shall be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a savior, who is Christ the Lord.

The Greek word for "savior" in that verse is soter (so-tare') which means: a rescuer.

Rescuers typically help people who are in grave distress and/or imminent danger of death and/or serious injury, and helpless to do anything about it; e.g. Red Cross, Firemen, Emergency Medical teams, snow patrols, mountain units, and the Coast Guard and National Guard.

Wouldn't it be awful if those agencies refused to assist desperate folk until they first proved themselves deserving? Well lucky for everyone that those agencies work on the basis of need rather than merit or many of us would end up thrown back to the wolves.

I think quite a few people are under the impression that Christ is some sort of probation officer; viz: if people "endure to the end" as they say; then he grants them a clearance for heaven. But God forbid they should fail to satisfy the conditions of their probation, because then they're out the door.

Probation can be likened to a sword of Damocles hanging over people's heads by a slender thread easily broken by conduct unbecoming. How dare the angel of Luke 2:8-11 describe his announcement as "good news of great joy" if probation were actually what's meant by sozo instead of rescue.

On the other hand; if Christ is in the business of rescuing people from the wrath of God in accord with the humane principles underlying normal emergency services; then yes, I fully agree with the angel that the birth of Christ is something to get excited about.
_