Why The Wise Men?

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

WebersHome
Guru

Why The Wise Men?

Post #1

Post by WebersHome »

Angels announced Jesus' birth up around the teensy community of Bethlehem, but they didn't go to Jerusalem; which seems to me would've been a far more sensible venue. Important news deserves an important audience, i.e. Jerusalem was Israel's religious center whereas Bethlehem was no-account. (Micah 5:2)

I mean: imagine NASA limiting its release of information about the success of Apollo 11 to the tiny community of Lakeview Texas, population 107. (2010 data)

There's some interesting points about the two events.

1» Celestial beings made the announcement up at Bethlehem whereas human beings made the announcement at Jerusalem.

2» The angel's announced a savior, whereas the wise men announced a sovereign. In other words: the angels and the wise men were talking about the same person, but definitely not the same status.

3» The wise men were foreigners rather than home-grown prophets.
_

WebersHome
Guru

Re: Why The Wise Men?

Post #2

Post by WebersHome »

Matt 2:1-2 . . Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, saying: Where is he that is born King of the Jews?

(Their star often gets more publicity than Jesus.)

I had never given so much as the slightest inkling of thought about Jesus as a sovereign until someone came along to tell me about the scope of his jurisdiction.

Back in 1968, when I was 24, an acquaintance asked me if I was prepared for Christ's return. Well; that was curious because up till then I didn't know he was coming back. So I asked my friend why Jesus would even want to come back, and for the very first time in my life discovered that Jesus was on track to rule entire planet. (Ps 2:1-12)

That news shook me to the core because I instinctively knew that were Christ and I to meet for a face-to-face, it would not go well for me because I have a lot to answer for; and that was before I knew anything at all about the sheep and goats event depicted at Matt 25:31-46, the judgment seat of Christ depicted at 1Cor 3:13-15, and the great white throne event depicted at Rev 20:11-15.

But the news isn't all doom and gloom. For example:

It will be difficult to wage war during his reign. (Mic 4:4)

It will be safe to go for a walk in the woods without fear of being attacked and/or bitten by critters. (Isa 11:6-9)

Justice will be fair across the board for everyone; whether rich or poor. (Isa 11:4, Ps 98:7-9)

Private property will be common. (Mic 4:4)

The Earth's fertility will be vastly improved. (Isa 35:1-2)

Longevity will be increased. (Isa 65:20)

Grief will be reduced. (Isa 65:19)
_