Atheism: I have no idea what evidence for God looks like but I am certain I have never encountered any.

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Sherlock Holmes

Atheism: I have no idea what evidence for God looks like but I am certain I have never encountered any.

Post #1

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

"I have no idea what evidence for God looks like but I am certain I have never encountered any and so therefore, naturally, I do not hold a belief in God."

Discuss

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Atheism: I have no idea what evidence for God looks like but I am certain I have never encountered any.

Post #2

Post by Purple Knight »

This is a good topic. It links up with my musings about whether and why anyone who encountered Q from Star Trek wouldn't fall to their knees and worship it, falling all over themselves to try to please it, hoping that it might reward them. I mean, it's very powerful. It is capable of doing certain godlike things. Maybe if you please it and grovel enough, it'll reward you. If it claimed to have created the universe, does that make any difference, or perhaps all the difference?

otseng
Savant

Re: Atheism: I have no idea what evidence for God looks like but I am certain I have never encountered any.

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

I think I can find the question here, which is, "What would evidence for god look like to an atheist?"

It's a good question.

My answer is just, a being, real or fictional, that is worthy of worship and helps me be moral.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Rose2020 »

Maybe one day you will encounter God.

One thing is for sure, a world without God and the work and influence of those who believe would be a true hell.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:42 pm Maybe one day you will encounter God.

One thing is for sure, a world without God and the work and influence of those who believe would be a true hell.
That statement is kind of like the advertisements for breakfast cereals with disclaimers that they were "part of this complete breakfast." A half-cup of Sugar Frosted Flakes or Sugar Smacks is "part of this complete breakfast" with bacon, eggs, and fruit in the way that "God" contributes to a world "complete" with other people, whether they believe or not. As long as most people are still believers, your statement is exactly as true whether God's a part of it or not.

"A world without the work and influence of those who believe would be a true hell."

To be more pithy about it, God and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:23 pm "I have no idea what evidence for God looks like but I am certain I have never encountered any and so therefore, naturally, I do not hold a belief in God."

Discuss
Agreed. And if there ever was convincing evidence for a god I would acknowledge it in a minute. However, that may be the only thing I did. If the god happened to be the god of Abraham I wouldn't respect it or venerate it, and I certainly would not worship it. Despite the good he is said to have done, it's pretty much a two-faced good. The Bible has shown its god to be too much of a cruel, immoral, thug for my liking. A far better god would be Athena, the Greek goddess of knowledge. As one source described her:

"Athena is often considered to be the best Greek goddess of all the gods and goddesses. She is known as the goddess of knowledge, wisdom, crafts, civilization, and justice. Out of all the gods and goddesses, Athena’s advice was sought after the most."
source