Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Jose Fly
Guru

Jan 6 fueled by Christian Nationalism

Post #1

Post by Jose Fly »

New report details the influence of Christian nationalism on the insurrection
(RNS) — A team of scholars, faith leaders and advocates unveiled an exhaustive new report Wednesday (Feb. 9) that documents in painstaking detail the role Christian nationalism played in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol and calling it an unsettling preview of things to come.

Christian nationalism was used to “bolster, justify and intensify the January 6 attack on the Capitol,” said Amanda Tyler, head of the Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty, which sponsored the report along with the Freedom From Religion Foundation. Tyler’s group is behind an initiative called Christians Against Christian Nationalism.

The organizations touted the report as “the most comprehensive account to date of Christian nationalism and its role in the January 6 insurrection,” compiled using “videos, statements, and images from the attack and its precursor events.”
The report is a good read and well documented. It also confirms something I've always felt was true about Jan 6, namely that while the big lie of the stolen election and Qanon certainly were factors in it all, the thread that tied all of it together was conservative Christian's refusal to consent to allow "others" to run the US. As Christianity declines and the population becomes increasingly ethnically diverse (i.e., less white), many evangelicals sense that their political power is waning, and Jan 6 was a backlash to that. They look around and see their kids and grandkids leaving the faith, minorities gaining affluence, LGBTQs living openly, and other things that indicate to them that the country is moving on from the days when the country was kind of an unofficial mini theocracy (when the country was run by white Christians, for white Christians). Some of them obviously feel threatened enough that they are willing to resort to violence against the government to try and reverse those trends.

As the saying goes, those in positions of power and privilege rarely give them up peacefully. Throw in religious fervor and things get very dangerous, very fast.
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Jan 6 fueled by Christian Nationalism

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

Jose Fly wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:33 pm New report details the influence of Christian nationalism on the insurrection
(RNS) — A team of scholars, faith leaders and advocates unveiled an exhaustive new report Wednesday (Feb. 9) that documents in painstaking detail the role Christian nationalism played in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol and calling it an unsettling preview of things to come.

Christian nationalism was used to “bolster, justify and intensify the January 6 attack on the Capitol,” said Amanda Tyler, head of the Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty, which sponsored the report along with the Freedom From Religion Foundation. Tyler’s group is behind an initiative called Christians Against Christian Nationalism.

The organizations touted the report as “the most comprehensive account to date of Christian nationalism and its role in the January 6 insurrection,” compiled using “videos, statements, and images from the attack and its precursor events.”
The report is a good read and well documented. It also confirms something I've always felt was true about Jan 6, namely that while the big lie of the stolen election and Qanon certainly were factors in it all, the thread that tied all of it together was conservative Christian's refusal to consent to allow "others" to run the US. As Christianity declines and the population becomes increasingly ethnically diverse (i.e., less white), many evangelicals sense that their political power is waning, and Jan 6 was a backlash to that. They look around and see their kids and grandkids leaving the faith, minorities gaining affluence, LGBTQs living openly, and other things that indicate to them that the country is moving on from the days when the country was kind of an unofficial mini theocracy (when the country was run by white Christians, for white Christians). Some of them obviously feel threatened enough that they are willing to resort to violence against the government to try and reverse those trends.

As the saying goes, those in positions of power and privilege rarely give them up peacefully. Throw in religious fervor and things get very dangerous, very fast.
It doesn't take much for people that have no life of their own, and or need to feel superior, to up-rise and revolt, that's for sure. But is there something specific for debate?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #3

Post by Jose Fly »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:46 pm It doesn't take much for people that have no life of their own, and or need to feel superior, to up-rise and revolt, that's for sure.
Actually, a lot of the insurrectionists had successful lives. Jan 6 wasn't about economics.
But is there something specific for debate?
It depends. If we all agree with the report's conclusions, then probably not.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Jose Fly in post #3]
Actually, a lot of the insurrectionists had successful lives. Jan 6 wasn't about economics.
Poor choice of words on my part. Of course they 'had lives'. Many were likely bored. Or were fearful of things. Or simply are terrible people looking to get their "15". That doesn't mean some (I wouldn't say a lot, personally) are worthy people. I'm not sure how one believing such a lie could be, but that's just me.
It depends. If we all agree with the report's conclusions, then probably not.[/quote} Exactly

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #5

Post by Jose Fly »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:56 pm Poor choice of words on my part. Of course they 'had lives'. Many were likely bored. Or were fearful of things. Or simply are terrible people looking to get their "15". That doesn't mean some (I wouldn't say a lot, personally) are worthy people. I'm not sure how one believing such a lie could be, but that's just me.
Me too. I tried debating some "stop the steal" folks for a while and I quickly found it to be very much like debating creationists.....even though their claims are superficially about data and evidence, it didn't take much effort to show that there were deeper issues behind it all.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

Jose Fly wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:02 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:56 pm Poor choice of words on my part. Of course they 'had lives'. Many were likely bored. Or were fearful of things. Or simply are terrible people looking to get their "15". That doesn't mean some (I wouldn't say a lot, personally) are worthy people. I'm not sure how one believing such a lie could be, but that's just me.
Me too. I tried debating some "stop the steal" folks for a while and I quickly found it to be very much like debating creationists.....even though their claims are superficially about data and evidence, it didn't take much effort to show that there were deeper issues behind it all.
Personally, I don't mind there being 'deeper issues behind it all', so long as they're honest about it. But that doesn't seem to be the case normally.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #7

Post by Jose Fly »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:04 pm Personally, I don't mind there being 'deeper issues behind it all', so long as they're honest about it. But that doesn't seem to be the case normally.
I think part of the frustration is that they know they can't be honest about it, because the "it" is "we will not allow 'those people' to run the country". If they said that out loud, they know there'd be a lot of repercussions.

historia
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by historia »

Jose Fly wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:33 pm
It also confirms something I've always felt was true about Jan 6, namely that while the big lie of the stolen election and Qanon certainly were factors in it all, the thread that tied all of it together was conservative Christian's refusal to consent to allow "others" to run the US. As Christianity declines and the population becomes increasingly ethnically diverse (i.e., less white), many evangelicals sense that their political power is waning, and Jan 6 was a backlash to that.
I wouldn't say "conservative Christians" are broadly to blame here. Rather, the kind of MAGA Christian nationalism that was part of the Jan. 6 insurrection -- and is still alarmingly popular today -- seems to be concentrated mostly among white Evangelicals, and in particular among white Pentecostals and Charismatics.

The report notes that many evangelical Christian leaders denounce Christian nationalism, but this movement is strongest among independent, non-denominational churches that are outside the influence of evangelical leaders.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #9

Post by Jose Fly »

Anyone have any info as to why this thread was moved from the Current Events sub-forum to this one? I'd think what happened on Jan 6 and the subsequent investigations and findings are more "current events" than "random ramblings".

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #10

Post by Jose Fly »

historia wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:50 pm I wouldn't say "conservative Christians" are broadly to blame here. Rather, the kind of MAGA Christian nationalism that was part of the Jan. 6 insurrection -- and is still alarmingly popular today -- seems to be concentrated mostly among white Evangelicals, and in particular among white Pentecostals and Charismatics.

The report notes that many evangelical Christian leaders denounce Christian nationalism, but this movement is strongest among independent, non-denominational churches that are outside the influence of evangelical leaders.
I agree, and that's why I didn't say "all conservative Christians".