The rise and fall of Adnan Oktar

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Difflugia
Prodigy

The rise and fall of Adnan Oktar

Post #1

Post by Difflugia »

Adnan Oktar ("Harun Yahya") is (or maybe "was") a Muslim creationist and cult leader in Turkey, known in the US for his Atlas of Creation series of books that infamously included a picture of a fly fishing lure instead of an actual mayfly. One used to be able to watch live video streams in which he and a panel of young women would have weird, but entertaining conversations about the great Darwinist conspiracy. One particularly hilarious thing is that he would talk in Turkish and the women would respond in English. In 2018, those turned into reruns when one of the women went to the police with the claim that she had been held against her will and he was arrested after a raid on his compound. Last January, he was sentenced to 1075 years in prison.

I'd kind of forgotten about him after the initial raid and COVID and all, but good article posted yesterday at The Times gave me a chance to be a bit nostalgic. I'm honestly surprised that his website is still up, but it's exactly the same as I remember it. He's written (or at least takes credit for) a bunch of books that combine conspiracy theories and Muslim apologetics that I find fascinating and entertaining. It looks like most of the videos are gone, though. There are still some "excerpts from conversations," but those are just strange monologues that lack the flavor of the old days.

Anyway, if anyone else here was a fan or if that's your kind of thing, enjoy!
My pronouns are he, him, and his.