Sub 120 IQ People Have Spotlights for Brains

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Sub 120 IQ People Have Spotlights for Brains

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

I try very hard not to get angry at the stupid for being stupid. In every other case, I imagine what life would be like for me if I was the stupid one, promptly thank my lucky starts, and immediately discard my anger.

Now I can't tell you what happened this time, but I stormed out of a room and slammed the door. This is unlike me. People describe me as very stoic.

I can give you a different example of peoples' spotlight brains. This one set me off as well but I was compelled not to tell a nearly 90-year-old lady what I thought of her in so many swear words.

There was this old lady who had surgery on her foot. First of all, they cut open the wrong foot. Second of all, they slashed a tendon, debilitating her ability to walk on the one good foot she had. At first they said they cut the tendon on purpose, but later they abandoned their nonsense and sent a nurse into her recovery room crying, telling the old lady that she had prepped the wrong foot and would be fired and unable to work in the medical industry again if the old lady sought any kind of reparation.

So the old lady relented and ignored the malpractice. I was furious. I still am.

Why do I call this having a spotlight for a brain?

It's because even if this nonsense was true, which I suspect it was not, the nurse should be fired. Let's say we're the most forgiving people in the world. Let's say we don't even care about the other people she might hurt. In that case, what about the highly-competitive medical industry and the girl flipping burgers who wanted to be a nurse, who this girl beat in an interview because this one was more charismatic and evinced more confidence in her abilities?

The interview process DOES NOT WORK, unless you believe 99.8% of people are not good enough for your average job. Not a medical job, your average job. This is because after a year, only 19% of new hires are considered fully successful and only one out of every 118 applicants is hired. Holy metal grates Batman!!! If we believe they're hiring the best candidate, that means only .2% of people are good enough for your average job!!! Not 2%, POINT 2 PERCENT. A fifth of a percent!!!!! AAAAHHHHHH!!!

I would call that a near-perfect reductio ad absurdum of people hiring the best candidate. They hire the most charismatic candidate. Do you see a problem here? Intelligence-based job: Roll Charisma to get it. Strength- or Stamina-based job (construction worker for example): Roll Charisma to get it.

Yes, yes, we start to see a problem, don't we?

This problem can't fix itself if only the person who has the job and is now poised to lose it because it turns out they suck, is in the spotlight. There needs to not be a spotlight. If you're going to throw Reason into a meat grinder trying to be kind, YOU NEED TO BE KIND TO MORE THAN ONE PERSON AT A TIME. The trouble is, it takes about a 110 IQ to do this at all, even if you have the inclination and have been so informed, and 120 at least to do it well (okay, I admit, this is a rough estimate) or to get the idea to do it if nobody has told you.

I know on an intellectual level that people can't really help having spotlights for brains, but I'm hopping mad anyway. I'm not mad at anyone because nobody's at fault, I'm just mad, and I needed to rant.

I did not proofread this post. I hope it has mistakes in it. That's how upset I am.

The Barbarian
Sage

Re: Sub 120 IQ People Have Spotlights for Brains

Post #2

Post by The Barbarian »

I used to recruit for my company. The saying was that the recruiting process represented the triumph of hope over experience.