Is God the priority of your life?

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Is God the priority of your life?

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

As I read 1Samuel chapter 4, Verses 15 to 22, I pick up on a point.
As the elderly Eli receives devastatingly bad news from a messenger, his response is interesting. He is able to take all of it, the heavy army losses and even the death of his sons. Yet when he hears that the Ark of God has been captured, he collapses dead.
Similarly his daughter in law who is near giving birth takes the news.Yet it is clear that foremost in her mind is the loss of the Ark of God, that thought is foremost as she dies.

It made me think, is love and faith in God really my priority? It should be, since all else in this world is merely temporary. Even above my children, my son's. How many of us could claim such strength of faith?

In Luke chapter 14 verses 25 to 33, Jesus echoes this. The cost of following Him means sacrifice far beyond what we might think.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Is God the priority of your life?

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #1]

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

Miles
Savant

Re: Is God the priority of your life?

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:01 pm As I read 1Samuel chapter 4, Verses 15 to 22, I pick up on a point.
As the elderly Eli receives devastatingly bad news from a messenger, his response is interesting. He is able to take all of it, the heavy army losses and even the death of his sons. Yet when he hears that the Ark of God has been captured, he collapses dead.
Similarly his daughter in law who is near giving birth takes the news.Yet it is clear that foremost in her mind is the loss of the Ark of God, that thought is foremost as she dies.
Boy, I don't know what Bible you read, but it certainly isn't anything like the Bibles I read.

1Samual 4:18
15 When the man mentioned God’s ark, Eli fell backwards off his seat, which was by the city gate. He broke his neck, and he died, because he was an old man, and he was overweight. He had judged Israel for forty years.

No indication at all that the news about the ark was directly responsible for Eli's death, as you imply. He died because, as the Bible takes pains to point out, 1. he was a very old man (98) and 2. he was overweight (some Bibles say "fat" or "heavy"). Both of which precipitated the broken neck that killed him.

As for Eli's daughter-in-law, who you say died as well, this is simply not so.

1 Samuel 4:21-22
21 She named the baby Ichabod, that is to say, “Israel’s glory has been taken away.” She did this because God’s Holy Box was taken away and because both her father-in-law and her husband were dead. 22 She said, “Israel’s glory has been taken away” because the Philistines had taken God’s Holy Box.