Jesus' Passover

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

WebersHome
Guru

Jesus' Passover

Post #1

Post by WebersHome »

Mark 14:12 . . And the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they killed the Passover, his disciples said unto him: Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the Passover?

That passage can be a bit misleading for folks unaware that the seven-day feast of Unleavened Bread (a.k.a. Passover) consists of a total of eight days.

The "first day" is when all the lambs are slaughtered and roasted with fire, ready to eat by sunset; which is when the seven-day part of the feast kicks off seeing as how the Jews' holy days begin and end with sunset.

In other words: the "first day" isn't a holy day. In point of fact it is a very busy day because of all the preparations that have to be made for dinner that night; which includes a witch hunt (so to speak) for any and all leavened bread in the Jews' homes.

Matt 26:3 . .Then the chief priests and the elders of the people assembled in the palace of the high priest, whose name was Caiaphas, and they plotted to arrest Jesus in some sly way and kill him. But not during the Feast-- they said --or there may be a riot among the people.

They failed to accomplish Jesus' death apart from the Feast.

The fixings for Jesus' Passover were prepared on the day leading up to the night of his arrest. The Jews prepared for their Passover on the day of his crucifixion. In other words: Jesus' Passover was prepared a day ahead of theirs.

He being a prophet in direct contact with God would know the correct date of the "first day" of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, whereas the Jews' calculations were vulnerable to human error. Consequently the Jews were unaware that their religious calendar was running behind that year.

So, as it turned out; Jesus was crucified on what the Jews believed was the day of preparation, but in reality was one of the seven days of the Feast.

* The Jews' mistake worked to Jesus' advantage. Had their calendar been correct, then Jesus would've lost an opportunity to share one last sacred event with his men; something he really wanted to do.

"Then, at the proper time, Jesus and the twelve apostles sat down together at the table. Jesus said: I have looked forward to this hour with deep longing, anxious to eat this Passover meal with you before my suffering begins." (Luke 22:14-15)
_

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: Jesus' Passover

Post #11

Post by Athetotheist »

WebersHome wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:21 pm .
Athetotheist wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:23 pmIf the day of the crucifixion wasn't the day of preparation, why does the author of the fourth gospel explicitly and repeatedly say that it was (19:14, 31)?
That was the Jews' prep day for their Passover supper which, according to Jesus' itinerary, should've been the launch day of the seven-day Feast of Unleavened Bread, viz: the Jews' religious calendar was running late that year.
_
The text of John says it was the preparation, Jesus' "itinerary" notwithstanding.

WebersHome
Guru

Post #12

Post by WebersHome »

John 18:28 . . Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the Passover.

Was that the only Passover eaten that year? No; Jesus ate a Passover the night of his arrest whereas the Jews ate a Passover after his crucifixion, viz: two Passovers were eaten that year.

So if there were two Passovers eaten that year, then there must have been two preparations for Passover-- Jesus' preparation and the Jews' preparation.

* It sometimes surprises folks that Jesus' last supper was a lamb; but even more surprising is that he anticipates dining upon lamb again.

Luke 22:15-16 . . I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you: I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.
_

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by Difflugia »

WebersHome wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:25 amWas that the only Passover eaten that year? No; Jesus ate a Passover the night of his arrest whereas the Jews ate a Passover after his crucifixion, viz: two Passovers were eaten that year.
Jesus didn't eat a Passover at all in John's Gospel. In John, the Last Supper was before Passover (13:1). In the Synoptics, everyone ate the Passover on the night Jesus was arrested. In John, the only Passover was eaten after Jesus' crucifixion.
WebersHome wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:25 amSo if there were two Passovers eaten that year
There weren't.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

WebersHome
Guru

Post #14

Post by WebersHome »

John 13:1-2 . . Now before the feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end. And supper being ended . . .

According to Matt 26:17-18 and Luke 22:15-16, the "supper being ended" refers to Jesus' lamb, whereas according to John 18:28 the "feast of the Passover" refers to the Jews' lamb.
_

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Difflugia »

WebersHome wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:21 pmThat was the Jews' prep day for their Passover supper which, according to Jesus' itinerary, should've been the launch day of the seven-day Feast of Unleavened Bread, viz: the Jews' religious calendar was running late that year.
You keep repeating this. What evidence do you have that it's true?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by Difflugia »

WebersHome wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:36 amAccording to Matt 26:17-18 and Luke 22:15-16, the "supper being ended" refers to Jesus' lamb, whereas according to John 18:28 the "feast of the Passover" refers to the Jews' lamb.
What textual evidence do you have that this is the case? Why should they be read differently?