Denominations

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Denominations

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

How did you get into the church denomination you worship within, were you born into it or did you choose as an adult?How important is this to you?

I became a Christian as a young adult and perhaps naively, I have always wondered if it really matters that much how and where you worship. Surely the important thing is that a person gives their life to Jesus Christ, who preached love.

Looking at history, at the bloodshed, it is sad. The division and disagreement. All the trouble over how to love and obey God

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Denominations

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:39 am How did you get into the church denomination you worship within, were you born into it or did you choose as an adult?How important is this to you?

I became a Christian as a young adult and perhaps naively, I have always wondered if it really matters that much how and where you worship. Surely the important thing is that a person gives their life to Jesus Christ, who preached love.

Looking at history, at the bloodshed, it is sad. The division and disagreement. All the trouble over how to love and obey God
I grew up in a small, rural town. My paternal grandfather was a baptist minister (though that's not the church I attended more than twice maybe). In my town, there were less than six churches, all christian/catholic (though now there are more - some nondenominational).
I was taken to my church as a small child and grew up there - the internet was nonexistent at that time so I had little to no influence of any other religion (no muslim, no hindu, no jewish, etc). I was taught 'this is the right religion' and was not taught any christian history, even though I craved it.
In high school, I was super excited to take WORLD HISTORY to learn about other cultures, but the history teacher was also the football coach and a good ½ of the class was football players so we only learned about football, and nothing about world history. Which was unfortunate.
Once I went out on my own, I learned about other cultures, other religions, learned more from other 'types' of christians (and from others that consider themselves christians that some may not ie. mormon, JWs, etc).

As far as denominations go, even when I was attending church, I wondered how important these little differences are. I thought 'If we are to follow jesus, why not just follow his teachings? Why deal with all these religious routines and rituals? Why even care what another denomination says? Just follow jesus!'
To me, that would be the most important part of the whole belief system - the gospels. I'd be willing to overlook that differences in them if group XYZ simply followed jesus and do what is right and good to the best of your ability and believe in jesus.
Yet, people seem to want to stick to rules from certain denominations.
Oh well.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Diagoras
Guru

Post #3

Post by Diagoras »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:39 amLooking at history, at the bloodshed, it is sad. The division and disagreement. All the trouble over how to love and obey God
Which parts of history disturb you the most? Did you have anything specifically in mind when you wrote this part?

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Rose2020 »

Diagoras
Just very generally in human history. Perhaps Catholics and Protestants as one example.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:39 am All the trouble over how to love and obey God
Usually what we see is divisions over such things as whether to baptize with two drops or three or to attempt a drowning.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #5]

Such is the way. I do not concern myself.