What materialists sometimes miss about Occam's principle

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

What materialists sometimes miss about Occam's principle

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

I was recently going through a thread from a while back in which a few of us were discussing the origin of the universe. Another poster took the position that it was possible for the universe to spring into being from nothing, as nothing has the potential to "act like something", while I was trying to explain why I find that position logically untenable. One argument the other poster kept coming back to was that their conclusion was more likely correct because it posited fewer entites than mine (granted, I was positing the existence of a cosmic creator).

Here we have to remember something important about Occam's principle. Occam's principle does not tell us to avoid multiplying entities; it tells us to avoid multiplying entities beyond necessity. Since it stands to reason that nothing could not produce something (by definition, there being nothing would mean no mechanism by which to produce anything----if there were such a mechanism there wouldn't be nothing), the postulation of something to produce something is necessary. The assumption of "something from nothing", therefore, fails to come out on top. To one extent or another, sometimes entities have to be multiplied.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: What materialists sometimes miss about Occam's principle

Post #21

Post by Goat »

Athetotheist wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:51 am [Replying to Goat in post #19
2 + 2 is somethign that is defined. 2 + 2 = 11 you know.
2 + 2 = 4

0 + 0 =/= 4
2 + 2 is 11... base 3.

It's all perspective.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Sherlock Holmes

Post #22

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Goat wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:47 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:43 pm [Replying to Goat in post #2
Of course, when it comes to avoiding multiplying entities, you can elminate the entity of God from the logic by assuming that what the universe emerged from is eternal, the 'quantum foam' so to speak.
What justifies the assumption that the "quantum foam" is eternal without even raising the question of what underlies its existence?
Why, the field of theoretical physics and mathematics. Mind you , it's not 100% proof, but it shows that it is feasible, and worthy of further investigation.

https://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quant ... verse.html
One can postulate an eternally existing universe but it has a very serious epistemological problem. That is that the presence of the universe is then admitted to be scientifically inexplicable - it just "is", there's no reason why it is what it is.

Using science to explain that science cannot be explained doesn't sound to me like much of an explanation, if science can't explain anything why claim that it can?

"Why do we see A? ahh that's because of B. So why do we see B, ahh that's because of C. So....why do we see Z? ahh that's because it just is."

This shows - IMHO - that a faith in science as the only means to "explain" anything and everything is misguided, scientism is misguided.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by Goat »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:07 pm
Of course, when it comes to avoiding multiplying entities, you can elminate the entity of God from the logic by assuming that what the universe emerged from is eternal, the 'quantum foam' so to speak.
What justifies the assumption that the "quantum foam" is eternal without even raising the question of what underlies its existence?
Why, the field of theoretical physics and mathematics. Mind you , it's not 100% proof, but it shows that it is feasible, and worthy of further investigation.

One can postulate an eternally existing universe but it has a very serious epistemological problem. That is that the presence of the universe is then admitted to be scientifically inexplicable - it just "is", there's no reason why it is what it is.

Using science to explain that science cannot be explained doesn't sound to me like much of an explanation, if science can't explain anything why claim that it can?

"Why do we see A? ahh that's because of B. So why do we see B, ahh that's because of C. So....why do we see Z? ahh that's because it just is."

This shows - IMHO - that a faith in science as the only means to "explain" anything and everything is misguided, scientism is misguided.
What alternative explanation do you have that does not suffer the same problem?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Sherlock Holmes

Post #24

Goat wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:37 pm

Given what I said above, I prefer to review my approach and postulate "Let's stop looking for scientific explanations" that is lets stop seeking a mechanistic, reductionist, cause and effect explanation, because that does inevitably lead nowhere.

So I postulate a non-material explanation, God, a will, an intent - the universe is here not because of some preceding material cause but is uncaused, the result of will, intent - much like the will that I know I possess.

Of course we have "God" to "explain" now but no matter, we have escaped from the infinities of cause->effect->cause->effect and that alone is a worthwhile step, despite raising new questions.

The existence of the universe is not some inevitable consequence of laws of nature, it is here because God wanted it to exist.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by Goat »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:48 pm

Given what I said above, I prefer to review my approach and postulate "Let's stop looking for scientific explanations" that is lets stop seeking a mechanistic, reductionist, cause and effect explanation, because that does inevitably lead nowhere.

So I postulate a non-material explanation, God, a will, an intent - the universe is here not because of some preceding material cause but is uncaused, the result of will, intent - much like the will that I know I possess.

Of course we have "God" to "explain" now but no matter, we have escaped from the infinities of cause->effect->cause->effect and that alone is a worthwhile step, despite raising new questions.

The existence of the universe is not some inevitable consequence of laws of nature, it is here because God wanted it to exist.
Making things up as you go along without support is not rational. However, there is fairly good theories about there being an eternal universe.

Steven Novella

Sherlock Holmes

Post #26

Goat wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:55 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:48 pm

Making things up as you go along without support is not rational. However, there is fairly good theories about there being an eternal universe.
My position is rational I think, based on the meaning of the term. I gave a reason for considering the hypothesis, namely it eliminates the infinite ...->cause->effect->cause->effect->... which I do not regard as an explanation, certainly not a scientific explanation because there can be no initial material cause because there was no start, these things characterize scientific explanations, science cannot explain how/why laws of nature came to be because to do so it must invoke laws - the very thing we seek to explain!

So postulating something that is not based on laws and cause/effect makes a great deal of sense I think, God - something embodying "will" and "intent" - the ability to "create" from where there was nothing before, is an explanation, albeit not a scientific one, but since we can already see that a scientific explanation is not possible, I'm OK with this.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by Athetotheist »

Goat wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:17 am
Athetotheist wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:51 am [Replying to Goat in post #19
2 + 2 is somethign that is defined. 2 + 2 = 11 you know.
2 + 2 = 4

0 + 0 =/= 4
2 + 2 is 11... base 3.

It's all perspective.
"In philosophy, or religion, or ethics, or politics, two and two might make five, but when one was designing a gun or an aeroplane they had to make four."
---George Orwell

If the universe is as physical as a gun or an airplane, then the universe's two and two have to make four.

Kylie
Apprentice

Post #28

Post by Kylie »

Athetotheist wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:29 pmScience is the study of cause and effect.
Says who?

Science is the study of reality in a testable way.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #29

Post by Athetotheist »

Kylie wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:12 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:29 pmScience is the study of cause and effect.
Says who?

And what are scientists doing when they test things other than (a) searching for the cause of an effect or (b) trying to predict what effect a cause will have?

Kylie
Apprentice

Post #30

Post by Kylie »

Athetotheist wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:42 am
Kylie wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:12 pm
Says who?

And what are scientists doing when they test things other than (a) searching for the cause of an effect or (b) trying to predict what effect a cause will have?
There's a lot more to it than that.

People have looked at cause and effect and concluded that saying a magic spell makes it rain. That's not science, yet it's still cause and effect as far as they are concerned. You're dumbing down science without justification.