Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Near Death Experiences

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

I recommend :
'Real Near Death Experience Stories' by Randy Kay and Shaun Tabbatt. At present only 79p on offer in Kindle.

I especially advise atheists to give this book a go. Whatever you believe, eternity is a long time and we can choose how it will be for us. Please don't dismiss things because they seem improbable or illogical. I believe these stories, especially the first one. I think they are genuine and a great warning of what life after death could be without God's protection.

I would like to welcome discussion and any experience people themselves may have had.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Near Death Experiences

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Moderator Comment

Absent a question for debate, this thread will be moved to Random Ramblings.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #1]

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

Ok. Many apologies, I was unsure where to post this.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Difflugia »

As a counterpoint, I recommend Abducted: How People Come to Believe They Were Kidnapped by Aliens by Susan A. Clancy. The book specifically focuses on "recovered memories" and their reliability, but much of the psychological insight applies in a much broader sense to issues involving memory, spirituality, and perceptions of events that the subject believes to be supernatural.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Difflugia in post #4]

Entirely different matter.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:48 amEntirely different matter.
I disagree. Both involve memories of something that happened outside of a normal conscious state that were later reshaped by conscious reflection.

What do you think the important differences are?

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Rose2020 »

The first story by Jim Woodford is particularly interesting. He wrote his own books on his experience and his whole life changed for the better, as with others who have had similar experiences.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Goat »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:11 am The first story by Jim Woodford is particularly interesting. He wrote his own books on his experience and his whole life changed for the better, as with others who have had similar experiences.
While NDE's can be very emotional, it doesn't prove anything other than the brain goes into interesting stimulation to combat oxygen deprivation. It also show interpretation of experiences are guided by social conditioning.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:11 am The first story by Jim Woodford is particularly interesting. He wrote his own books on his experience and his whole life changed for the better, as with others who have had similar experiences.
From Abducted, pp. 148-9:
I was struck by the fact that all of the subjects, without exception, said that they felt “changed” because of their experiences, that “they were better people,” that “life improved” after they were abducted. What was it about abduction that felt right to them? That was so awe-inspiring? People went so far as to say: “I would be much different if I hadn’t been abducted. I would have led a much emptier, drier existence. Imagine we’re all people standing on a beach. When you get your ankles wet, you realize there’s a whole reality out there you didn’t know about, so much you never even knew.” And: “The journey has enabled me to discover my place in the universe. I had felt abandoned, reduced to nothing but a sperm sample. Yet today I feel a tremendous expansiveness. In my total aloneness, I have discovered a oneness with the beings.” And: “I know it sounds crazy, but the essence of it is that it changed my life. It taught me that we are not alone here. It made a better person out of me.”

At the end of every interview, throughout the five-year course of the research, each abductee was asked the same question: “If you could do it all over again, would you choose not to be abducted?” No one ever said yes. Despite the shock and terror that accompanied their experiences, the abductees were glad to have had them. Their lives improved. They were less lonely, more hopeful about the future, felt they were better people. They chose abduction.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Rose2020 »

Well, alien abduction, even if it were true, leads nowhere. What future could it spell for the human soul?
Whereas meeting Jesus, seeing heaven and hell, is very different. I believe many accounts are true and it takes great courage to speak and write about them. For me they ring true in many cases. I really do not believe a dying or clinically dead person is dreaming or hallucinating.