Radioactive dating

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

dad1
Under Suspension

Radioactive dating

Post #1

Post by dad1 »

The basis for dating using ratios of isotopes is faith based. One example is that if we see an existing amount of parent and daughter material together, it is assumed that the present processes at work today are wholly responsible for all the material.

Jose Fly
Guru

Re: Radioactive dating

Post #111

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:31 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:53 am
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:57 am So you agree with the OP scientific claims pertaining to radiometrically determined ages, are based on assumptions
Sheesh, do you even pay attention in these threads? We've covered that multiple times already.
and cannot and should not be portrayed as if they were facts.
Under the framework that you and dad are advocating, nothing is a fact.
I have not "advocated" anything, certainly not a "framework" whatever you mean by that. I have stated that I agree with the OP that radiometrically determined dates depend on assumptions, beliefs, all scientific claims in fact depend on assumptions.

That is not a "framework" it is a recognized characteristic of science, of epistemology.
Well we've gone around this same circle at least three times now, which has killed my interest.

This puts me in mind of why I first started rejecting Christianity as a kid. All those times when I'd ask our church leaders or my family members questions about Christianity, and all the times they'd not only dodge the questions and issues they raised, but indicate that the mere act of asking questions was an irritant. Eventually I just concluded that the reason for those behaviors was that they didn't have answers to my questions, but couldn't allow themselves to admit it either.

It's fascinating to see those same behaviors exhibited so frequently by so many other Christians and with so many other topics. It's also fascinating to contrast that with my educational and professional experiences, where questioning things is encouraged.

I suppose that's one of the big reasons why I never fit in with the Christian environment, but instantly felt at home in the scientific realm.
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

otseng
Savant

Post #112

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to RR since there is no debate question, devolving into personal comments, and lack of productive debate.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.

AdHoc
Guru

Post #113

Post by AdHoc »

[Replying to dad1 in post #1] The topic of this thread is kind of different than what I imagined it was from the title alone...