Radioactive dating

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

dad1
Under Suspension

Radioactive dating

Post #1

Post by dad1 »

The basis for dating using ratios of isotopes is faith based. One example is that if we see an existing amount of parent and daughter material together, it is assumed that the present processes at work today are wholly responsible for all the material.

Jose Fly
Guru

Re: Radioactive dating

Post #71

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:52 pm My position is clear if you read my posts earlier in the thread, it is that the dates we establish are only as good as the assumptions we make.
So your entire argument/position on radiometric dating is "it's based on assumptions" and "the results are as good as those assumptions"? That's it? Nothing else? No "Therefore....."?
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Sherlock Holmes

Post #72

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Jose Fly wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:59 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:52 pm My position is clear if you read my posts earlier in the thread, it is that the dates we establish are only as good as the assumptions we make.
So your entire argument/position on radiometric dating is "it's based on assumptions" and "the results are as good as those assumptions"? That's it? Nothing else? No "Therefore....."?
Jose, that is my position, you can either agree with it or disagree. If you agree all well and good, if you disagree then do so and I'll consider what you have to say.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #73

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:05 pm
Jose, that is my position, you can either agree with it or disagree. If you agree all well and good, if you disagree then do so and I'll consider what you have to say.
"Radiometric dating is based on assumptions". So what? Everything we do is "based on assumptions". You really have no other point beyond that beyond obvious observation?

Sherlock Holmes

Post #74

Jose Fly wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:11 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:05 pm
"Radiometric dating is based on assumptions". So what? Everything we do is "based on assumptions". You really have no other point beyond that beyond obvious observation?
I wasn't making a "point" other than I agree with the OP, its not clear to me whether you agree or disagree with the OP but that's not my concern.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #75

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:19 pm I wasn't making a "point" other than I agree with the OP, its not clear to me whether you agree or disagree with the OP but that's not my concern.
Oh, so you believe radiometric dating is "faith based". Do you think geochronologists practice a brand of faith unique to their field of study, or something else?

Sherlock Holmes

Post #76

[Replying to Jose Fly in post #75]

Please direct that question at the thread's creator, it is he who has this as his thesis, he is best placed to respond to such a question I think.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #77

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:24 pm [Replying to Jose Fly in post #75]

Please direct that question at the thread's creator, it is he who has this as his thesis, he is best placed to respond to such a question I think.
Another dodge? Hmmmm....I sense a pattern.

You just said you agree with the OP, which claims radiometric dating is "faith based", did you not? Why so reluctant to answer such a simple follow-up question about that? What "faith" do you believe is the basis behind radiometric dating? Is it religious faith?

Sherlock Holmes

Post #78

Jose Fly wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:28 pm
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:24 pm [Replying to Jose Fly in post #75]

Another dodge? Hmmmm....I sense a pattern.

You just said you agree with the OP, which claims radiometric dating is "faith based", did you not? Why so reluctant to answer such a simple follow-up question about that? What "faith" do you believe is the basis behind radiometric dating? Is it religious faith?
Jose, if you disagree with the OP then it would be helpful - I think - if you submitted a post saying so and explaining why you disagree. I may or may not respond to that depending on what you actually say in the post.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #79

Post by Jose Fly »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:35 pm Jose, if you disagree with the OP then it would be helpful - I think - if you submitted a post saying so and explaining why you disagree. I may or may not respond to that depending on what you actually say in the post.
You're still dodging, which again leads me to wonder......why? Why is answering such a simple question so problematic for you that you'll do whatever you can to avoid it?

You said you agree that radiometric dating is "faith based". All I'm asking is what "faith" you believe is the basis for it.

dad1
Under Suspension

Post #80

Post by dad1 »

Jose Fly wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:47 pm I'm wondering....what specifically is the creationists' position here?

Is that that the gods greatly accelerated decay rates in the past and later slowed them down to their current rate?

Is it that the gods created things like rocks with the isotopes already partially decayed to daughter elements (but the decay rates themselves didn't change), and that's why we keep getting results that indicate ages in the billions of years?

Something else?
No. Was there decay in the far past on earth? Can you prove it? If creation happened then a lot of things came into existence with ratios intact already! That means you cannot use the present day physics and processes such as decay to be the reason they all exist! Nor can we assume that the forces and laws in place today even existed as we know them. The isotopes then may have been working in some other arrangement with each other than the radioactive decay relationship we see today.