A bigger problem

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

A bigger problem

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

One argument used to dismiss discrepancies between Christian scripture and the Jewish Bible is the claim that a text can have dual meaning. There are, however, instances in which this argument is inadequate.

Isaiah 28:16 ("Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.") is rendered in Romans 9:33, "As it is written, “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense; and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame."

Isaiah 59:20 ("And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the LORD") is rendered in Romans 11:26 as, "And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob"

The particular problem with the Christian verses above is that the author presents his versions of Jewish texts as what is written in those texts when clearly it is not. This indicates that the author is making false statements about Jewish scripture, which would not happen if he were writing under divine inspiration.

tam
Savant

Re: A bigger problem

Post #2

Post by tam »

[Replying to Athetotheist in post #1]

Peace to you!

Just an fyi, I think you are quoting the wrong comparable passage (at least for the first one that I just looked up):

Compare instead the Romans verse with Isaiah 8:14 instead of with Isaiah 28:

And He will be a sanctuary— but to both houses of Israel a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense, to the dwellers of Jerusalem a trap and a snare. 15Many will stumble over these; they will fall and be broken; they will be ensnared and captured.”

I'm not sure I see a conflict with your second example between Isaiah 59 and Romans 11.

Peace again.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: A bigger problem

Post #3

Post by Athetotheist »

tam wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:17 pm [Replying to Athetotheist in post #1]

Peace to you!

Just an fyi, I think you are quoting the wrong comparable passage (at least for the first one that I just looked up):

Compare instead the Romans verse with Isaiah 8:14 instead of with Isaiah 28:

And He will be a sanctuary— but to both houses of Israel a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense, to the dwellers of Jerusalem a trap and a snare. 15Many will stumble over these; they will fall and be broken; they will be ensnared and captured.”

I'm not sure I see a conflict with your second example between Isaiah 59 and Romans 11.

Peace again.
Isaiah 8 continues the prophecy about the downfall of Syria and Israel which was begun in chapter 7, where Isaiah points out the young woman who is pregnant with the child whose birth is to confirm the prophecy of those nations' failure to defeat Judah. 28:16 has the reference to Zion; 8:14 doesn't.

In Isaiah 59:20, the redeemer comes to Zion and to the people who turn themselves from transgression. Romans 11:26 flips it around, having the deliverer coming from Zion and being the one who turns them.