Worship Mutation and Randomness?

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

richic
Apprentice

Worship Mutation and Randomness?

Post #1

Post by richic »

It's probably not too controversial to say that believers live on more than just rationaility. They are also called to faith. Atheists would say this is a psychological phenomenon, but it still exists.

If evolutionists are able to disprove creation and thus the existence of God, believers will need to transfer their allegience to the creator of evolution.

Believers don't worship idols(the end product of the creative process).

Are we to worship mutation and randomness? And if so, how would we worship? Please be as specific as possible.

I was thinking one way would be to have a Mudomist(our new denomination) be paged every Sunday at 9:45 AM with the location of a different church to attend and it could be anywhere in the world. The sign of his faith is his ability to get there(at some point) and the longer the distance the more "faith credits" you would accrue.

ST88
Site Supporter

Re: Worship Mutation and Randomness?

Post #2

Post by ST88 »

richic wrote:If evolutionists are able to disprove creation and thus the existence of God, believers will need to transfer their allegience to the creator of evolution.
Some religions, like Catholicism, have managed to allow the two concepts to coexist: Creation and Evolution. I don't think that Evolution disproves God (or would disprove God), all it does is puts a different spin on Genesis 1:19 - 2:25 -- if one were so inclined to spin it. I don't mean to halt your thread in its tracks, just wanted to point this out.

jwu
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by jwu »

If evolutionists are able to disprove creation and thus the existence of God
This is incorrect.

The existence of God does not depend on literal six day creation being true. In fact evolution doesn't say anything about the existence of God.

jwu

richic
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by richic »

Ok, not creation, then a creator. Just go with me on this.

perfessor
Scholar

Post #5

Post by perfessor »

richic wrote:Ok, not creation, then a creator. Just go with me on this.
Go with you where?

I also dispute your premise that evolution is incompatible with belief in a creator.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

richic
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by richic »

I thought macro evolution embodies the idea that nature is all there is, so nature does its own creating, and there's really no role for God in the process.

This is not what I want to debate. If I'm wrong on this description then I have my topic in the wrong forum.

gluadys
Student

Post #7

Post by gluadys »

richic wrote:I thought macro evolution embodies the idea that nature is all there is, so nature does its own creating, and there's really no role for God in the process.

This is not what I want to debate. If I'm wrong on this description then I have my topic in the wrong forum.
No,you are not thinking of science at all. What you are describing is a philosophy. The philosophy of materialism.

A materialist will approach science, any science, not just evolution, with the mental framework that there is no reality beyond the physical, and physical cause and effect are the only explanations of reality needed.

An idealist or theist or any non-materialist will approach any science, including evolution, with the mental framework that science deals with part of reality but not all of reality, so the science becomes a piece of the whole which may include a Creator.

Macro-evolution is a scientific concept and can co-exist with the concept of creation.

Nyril
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Nyril »

I thought macro evolution embodies the idea that nature is all there is, so nature does its own creating, and there's really no role for God in the process.
No, not really. God isn't required in the process by definition, but nor is he excluded either. He could of created that first little single celled polymer with precisely the right chemicals, knowing that if he sat back and watched it could domino into the life we see today. Or he could even of gone so far as to randomly crash things into the planet to see if the life could cope with it (like kids using a lense on an ant hill).

richic
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by richic »

Thanks everyone. I shouldn't have used evolutionist in this topic. I'll think about relaunching it in the Christianity forum.

Yarr the Pirate
Student

Yarr!

Post #10

Post by Yarr the Pirate »

Bwa ha ha! yes, the evil evil plan of the evolutionists is to destroy God and instead have all bow down to the dark lord Chaos! We have our meetings every Friday night where we sacrfice intricate and orderly things to his throne of many shattered metal and glass bits and argue over who is more of a gorilla! Afterwards there's punch, cake, and dancing to music that isn't written in bass or treble clef.

Additionally, richic, you're a wanker.