Covid spreading

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Covid spreading

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Are they happy now, all those who complained so vociferously against restrictions? They have their wish. This is what happens. Everyone I know is sick with it, along with every other virus going round. Here are the fruits of personal freedom.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Covid spreading

Post #11

Post by Goat »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:28 pm
Goat wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:20 pmYou might not find it satisfying, but the flattening the curve saved 10's of thousands of lives, if not more
I'll find it satisfying when I know beforehand what the rules are for when we trade livelihoods for lives and when we don't. If it's ten thousand then fine. The problem is, I don't know that. No one does.

Something like 80 million people have died of AIDS and nobody even whispers of restrictions.
That is because of the mechanism by which aids spreads. To get aids from someone else, you have to exchange bodily fluids. to give covid to someone if you have it, and don't know it, all you have to do is breath in their general vicinity.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Purple Knight »

Goat wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:46 pm
Goat wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:20 pmYou might not find it satisfying, but the flattening the curve saved 10's of thousands of lives, if not more
I'll find it satisfying when I know beforehand what the rules are for when we trade livelihoods for lives and when we don't. If it's ten thousand then fine. The problem is, I don't know that. No one does.

Something like 80 million people have died of AIDS and nobody even whispers of restrictions.
That is because of the mechanism by which aids spreads. To get aids from someone else, you have to exchange bodily fluids. to give covid to someone if you have it, and don't know it, all you have to do is breath in their general vicinity.
Just as that means you can arguably avoid AIDS relatively easily, it also means fewer restrictions would be required to stop the spread and save millions of people.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Goat »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:21 am
Goat wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:46 pm

Just as that means you can arguably avoid AIDS relatively easily, it also means fewer restrictions would be required to stop the spread and save millions of people.
Yes, indeed it does. What kind of restrictions, and how would you show those restrictions are being followed. I mean, with respitory illness, the restrictions are as easy to see as the mask on your face. Also , covid has a life cycle, while aids is incurable at the moment.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by Purple Knight »

Goat wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:25 am Yes, indeed it does. What kind of restrictions, and how would you show those restrictions are being followed. I mean, with respitory illness, the restrictions are as easy to see as the mask on your face. Also , covid has a life cycle, while aids is incurable at the moment.
Covid means lockdowns, not just masks. And it hasn't been cured and won't be cured. Livelihoods traded for lives.

If you want to stop AIDS it's as simple as forced testing and restrictions on those that test positive. And it would be cured. One generation and nobody would have AIDS ever again. But no, because omg freedom is absolute dontchaknow and who cares about lives freedom is more important.

You can argue about which is better but I'm not looking for an argument. I think AIDS needs the attention more. But I don't care what I think either.

I'm looking for an explanation, beforehand, that is clear about when livelihoods are to be traded for lives and when they may not be.

If the going principle is omg freedom freedom freedom how dare you suggest restrictions, and that suddenly changes, without an explanation, I am going to be forced to agree with basement-dwelling conspiracy theorists that it well might be political.