Would you choose to rid the world AIDS...

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Would you do it?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 35

Sjoerd
Scholar

Would you choose to rid the world AIDS...

Post #1

Post by Sjoerd »

Suppose an alien from outer space hands you a device that can track down and destroy all HIV RNA/DNA in the world. One disadvantage: any human being with detectable quantities of HIV will not survive the process.

What would you do?
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings.
The nakedness of woman is the work of God.
Listen to the fool''''s reproach! it is a kingly title!
As the caterpiller chooses the fairest leaves to lay her eggs on, so the priest lays his curse on the fairest joys.

William Blake - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Coyotero
Scholar

Post #2

Post by Coyotero »

We can overcome the problem on our own, and are very close to doing so without it costing so many lives.

AIDS is an epidemic because of a lack of adequate education about the risks and precautions.

I'd decline.

Sjoerd
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Sjoerd »

Coyotero wrote:We can overcome the problem on our own, and are very close to doing so without it costing so many lives.

AIDS is an epidemic because of a lack of adequate education about the risks and precautions.

I'd decline.
It would be great if we could overcome this problem on our own, but I am afraid we are far from that. The AIDS virus is highly resistant to all attempts to eradicate it, and so are certain human behaviors.

Would it make a difference to you if human scientists instead of aliens had invented such a device? What if you had invented it yourself?
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings.
The nakedness of woman is the work of God.
Listen to the fool''''s reproach! it is a kingly title!
As the caterpiller chooses the fairest leaves to lay her eggs on, so the priest lays his curse on the fairest joys.

William Blake - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Nilloc James »

If i was smart enough to invent that I would proabably be a mad scientist so I might...

On the other side massive death toll vs AIDS

I'd do some quick math, number with HIV vs those killed by it in the past.

Coyotero
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Coyotero »

People can and do live with AIDS... Some are even showing signs of overcoming it. Those infected should not be put to death so that rest of the world can live without fear of it. They will reach their end when their time comes. The skeins of their wyrd are not ours to cut.

Edit: Spelling.

Tiberius47
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Tiberius47 »

I'd take it, but I wouldn't use it until we were very sure that aids was spreading and we weren't able to stop it.

It's a last-chance weapon, to be used at the last chance.

elle
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by elle »

Absolutely not. It seems barbaric. Humans should be able to figure out another way to overcome HIV/AIDS. Besides, it's not like AIDS is the only disease in the world killing people.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.--Carl Sagan

ConfinedIX
Student

Post #8

Post by ConfinedIX »

As Elle put it, no. It is an unfortunate part of life and people need to accept that. Also as Elle said, it isn't the only diease, ect. in this world. My best friend is most likely going to die in the next 10 years from a genetic disease she was born with, but instead of worrying about it I am cherishing what time I have with her.

It is no different with people that have HIV/AIDS. Their family and friends should cherish what time they have left.

On a side note HIV/AIDS is a very good reason why Sex Education should be taught in every available school system. The lack of knowledge about HIV/AIDS increases the chances that it will continue to spread like a plague.

Also, I am sure within the next few decades that scientists will have either come up with a way to combat it or be close to finding it out.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090924/ap_ ... ds_vaccine
Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery. - Robert G. Ingersoll 1833-1899

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Cephus »

I would do it. After all, everyone with AIDS is already going to die (as will we all), most of them will have a vastly diminished lifespan and a miserable existence anyhow. If I could stop further people from being infected with the disease, I'd have no problem sacrificing people who are already affected and the same goes for many other diseases as well.

Just think, had someone in the Dark Ages had that alternative with the black plague when it was getting started, before 1/3 of Europe died of it, would that have been a bad call? I don't think so.
Want to hear more? Check out my blog!
Watch my YouTube channel!
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

Ink
Student

Post #10

Post by Ink »

Part of me wants to say "I'd do it to save more lives!", but I don't know if I could deal with the deaths of so many on my hands.

We are all going to die eventually, so who am I to take away what joy those people may experience. Afterall this life is the only one we're gunna get. IMO