Christians! : What would you do if....

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Would you kill an innocent child if God demanded it of you?

No - but I would still be devoted to him
13%
Yes
30%
Yes - if it meant safe passage into heaven for me
No votes
No - and turn your back on God
57%

Total votes: 47

VermilionUK
Scholar

Christians! : What would you do if....

Post #1

Post by VermilionUK »

Hypothetically speaking, and assuming God exists:
If you were demanded- by God - to kill an innocent child, would you do it?
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
- Sherlock Holmes -

spitndirt

Re: Christians! : What would you do if....

Post #111

Post by spitndirt »

[Replying to post 1 by VermilionUK]

Hmmm....I'm reminded of the story of Abraham and Isaac.

The correct answer for me is not stated in the poll. I would resist the voice of him telling me to kill an innocent child and he would flee from me....just as the TRUE God has said.

spitndirt

Post #112

Post by spitndirt »

[Replying to post 1 by VermilionUK]

Hmmm....I'm reminded of the story of Abraham and Isaac.

The correct answer for me is not stated in the poll. I would resist the voice of him telling me to kill an innocent child and he would flee from me....just as the TRUE God has said.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #113

Post by amortalman »

[Replying to post 8 by fightwriter]

fightwriter wrote: It was said he never had a chance to experience "real" life, but I believe he would be getting to skip the heartache filled fallen life and go directly to what real life was intended to be, complete peace joy love and harmony in the presence of God.

amortalman: I'm wondering what was meant by the term "real life". Some Christians might assume that "real life" means becoming a Christian through faith in Jesus Christ. Others might interpret real life as a life of luxury and privilege. Still, others might see real life as a life free from the slums or a painful existence. But let's assume that the writer intended "real life" to mean one that is lived for Jesus Christ. So, if this child is going to miss real life and live a "heartache-filled fallen life destined for Hell or whatever then, in your estimation, it would be OK to kill him or her. So why not go one step further and kill all innocent children so that all of them will be assured of a place in heaven? The very thought of such a thing is obscene.
I don't know for sure exactly what your beliefs are but during the fifteen years I was a Christian, the Southern Baptist doctrine taught that babies and little children were under God's grace until they reached the age of accountability (nobody knew when that was by the way).
They also believe and teach what Jesus supposedly said that the great majority of people who ever lived or will live will go to Hell as per this statement:

13. Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14. Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. (Luke 13:22-30)

So the logic follows that most children will grow up to be lost souls destined for Hell and that by murdering them before accountability they are sure to spend eternity with God in heaven then murdering them is the moral thing to do. How outrageous is that?

[/i]

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #114

Post by amortalman »

[Replying to VermilionUK]

I think the temptation here is to try to qualify that question, to add something that isn't there so as to make answering it more palatable. Taken at face value the question adds no qualifiers and must be considered as stated. Isn't this the dilemma Abraham faced with his son Isaac? In his case, he was willing to kill the child because he believed God would raise him up again. So, if you believe this OT story, you might draw a precedent from it in making your decision.
I think the real question here is the strength of your convictions. Did I really hear from God? How can I know for sure? God rescued Isaac at the last second but does that mean He will do the same with this child?
The danger of this scenario is that someone mentally delusional will think they've heard from God when in fact it was all in their head. Professing Christians have done similar and even worse things throughout history. In my opinion dogmatism in religion can be a very dangerous thing.

shnarkle
Guru

Post #115

Post by shnarkle »

VermilionUK wrote: Hypothetically speaking, and assuming God exists:
If by God you mean an omnipotent, omniscient, transcendent supreme being, then what else is there to do except to what he tells you to? To do otherwise it to suggest that you know better than God which is blatantly ridiculous. After all, he's the one who gave us our inferior sense of morality in the first place, right?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #116

Post by nobspeople »

VermilionUK wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:37 pm Hypothetically speaking, and assuming God exists:
No
But writings show sick people would say YES having attempted to do that - some succeeding.
Brings up an interesting question to me: at what point do we say the 'God told me to do it' train of thought goes from faith to mentally ineptness?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!