Christians! : What would you do if....

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Would you kill an innocent child if God demanded it of you?

No - but I would still be devoted to him
13%
Yes
30%
Yes - if it meant safe passage into heaven for me
No votes
No - and turn your back on God
57%

Total votes: 47

VermilionUK
Scholar

Christians! : What would you do if....

Post #1

Post by VermilionUK »

Hypothetically speaking, and assuming God exists:
If you were demanded- by God - to kill an innocent child, would you do it?
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
- Sherlock Holmes -

Serpent Oracle
Scholar

Post #101

Post by Serpent Oracle »

Jake wrote: And the worst part is, some Christians realize this. They're just too entrapped in their delusions that they continue to worship God out of fear, because even if they are made to see he is evil, they can't be made to realize there is also no evidence for his existence.
Tis the religion of fear...

You don't love Jebus?
You're going to Hell where you will burn forever!

What a joke... ;)

Jake
Apprentice

Post #102

Post by Jake »

I'm currently debating the justification for Hell here if you feel like putting in your two cents. Right now I'm just trying to work past the fire-and-brimstone nonsense they're throwing at me to get at the real issue: no one deserves to go to Hell. I'd appreciate some support. If you decide not to get involved I won't hold it against you.

Serpent Oracle
Scholar

Post #103

Post by Serpent Oracle »

Jake wrote: I'm currently debating the justification for Hell here if you feel like putting in your two cents. Right now I'm just trying to work past the fire-and-brimstone nonsense they're throwing at me to get at the real issue: no one deserves to go to Hell. I'd appreciate some support. If you decide not to get involved I won't hold it against you.
True allies come when called...

Reinforcements are on the way ;)

Jake
Apprentice

Post #104

Post by Jake »

Thanks! Feel free to call upon me at any time as well.

Unfortunately I've taken up too much space already in this thread. In retrospect, I should have invited you via private message. I didn't mean to derail this debate.

So if anyone has anything further to say on killing kids for God, please, let's get back on topic!

(I'm going to go back to using the royal "you" instead of talking directly to Serpent Oracle.)

I don't see the argument that God might stop you from killing the child at the last minute as relevant, because he wouldn't test your faith by telling you to kill a child, knowing full-well (in his omniscience) that you aren't totally convinced he's going to let you kill the child. He wouldn't use the same trick twice (Isaac).

So if God did instruct anyone to kill a child, he would let them do it. So don't try to use that excuse to make your willingness to murder seem less than it is: a danger to society.

gnik
Apprentice

Post #105

Post by gnik »

The God I know wouldn't ask me to do that. So if I was asked to do so, I wold know it isn't God.

Dantalion
Guru

Post #106

Post by Dantalion »

35% would do it ?
Enjoy your 'superior morality' :whistle:

swt007
Student

Re: Christians! : What would you do if....

Post #107

Post by swt007 »

[Replying to post 1 by VermilionUK]

i will kill my faith in god rather than killing an innocent child..

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #108

Post by Divine Insight »

VermilionUK wrote: Hypothetically speaking, and assuming God exists:
No, I would refuse. In fact, if it was the biblical God I would have very good reason to refuse. This God had commanded "Thou shalt not kill".

So what's he doing asking me to kill someone?

Clearly this can only be a test. But what is the test? Is the test to see whether I'll just blindly do anything he says? Or is the test to see if I will obey his original commandments? :-k

Where did this God ever command, "Thou shalt do everything I say blindly without question"?

I don't believe he did. But he did command, "Thou shalt not kill".

So if this is a test, I'm more likely to pass it by refusing to kill the child.

In fact, why would an omnipotent God need me to kill a child. Clearly if he wants to kill the child he can easily do it himself. So clearly this can only be a test to see whether or not I would do it. And so my answer to God would be no, I will no kill the child.

So which of the poll answer would apply to me?

None of them as far as I can see.

Here they are:

No - but I would still be devoted to him

Well, this one might work. Does concern that God might be suffering from mental illness count as "devotion to God"?

After all, if my mortal father asked me to kill someone I would be concerned about his mental hell as well.

Yes
Yes - if it meant safe passage into heaven for me

Neither of these apply since I would refuse to kill the child. And I would especially refuse if the second reason was the reason God gave me for why I need to kill the child.

No - and turn your back on God

Turning your back on a God who just asked you to kill a child probably wouldn't be wise. He'd probably just stab you in the back.

~~~~

Now having said the above, there are potential reasons that God could give me for why I need to kill this child that could cause me to accept this task.

One reason would be if God told me that the child has contracted a horrible virus that will cause a huge horrible plague if allowed to grow. Then it makes sense that this innocent child may need to die to save many other innocent people.

However there would still be questions that I would need to put to God.

For example, why doesn't God just kill the child himself? What's he asking me to do this thing for when he's supposed to be omnipotent?

Also why did he design this hideous virus for in the first place? If he's the designer of all of creation then what's up with that?

So this God would have some explaining to do.

No a religion zealot might say, but this is why God wants you to just obey him, he doesn't have time to explain every little detail to you. But that's baloney. He's had well over 4000 years to explain as much as needed. There's no excuse for him not having explained things over that period of time.

This idea that God just needs to be obeyed without question is not compatible with an actual all-wise being. It's only compatible with false mythologies that have no reasons for anything other than they just want you to worship their cult without asking questions.

I don't believe that an actual God would do that. An actual God would explain things properly and not play stupid hide-and-seek games.

~~~~

But the whole scenario presented in this thread is absurd anyway.

Even if a "God" came to you and commanded that you kill an innocent child, how could you be sure it was God who was doing this? Maybe it's Satan pretending to be God.

To blindly obey a God is extremely dangerous because that would leave a person also in the position of blindly obeying Satan.

How would you know the difference? Jesus said that you will know the difference by their fruit. Well duh, if some entity comes to you demanding that you kill an innocent child, that's a pretty good sign that it's a demon and not a God right there.

In the Bible if God asked Abraham to kill his son, how can we know that it wasn't Satan?

After all, God supposedly commanded people, "Thou Shalt Not Kill" so there's no reason why God would ask anyone to kill anybody. Therefore anywhere people are being asked to kill other people we can automatically assume that it must be the work of Satan.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Thruit
Apprentice

Post #109

Post by Thruit »

I will establish my covenant with isaac for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him. Ge.17:19

for in Isaac shall thy seed be called. Ge.21:20

(God promises Abram that his descendants will come from Isaac.)

Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac...and offer him there for a burnt offering...Ge.22:2

(Kill Isaac before he has children?)

Hbr 11:17,19
By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac...Accounting that God was able to raise him...from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.

Received Isaac in a figure? What in the world does that mean?

Faith that his only son would be raised from the dead? Hmm...sounds familiar.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #110

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

VermilionUK wrote: Hypothetically speaking, and assuming God exists:
If I were to define my God as being one of love and peace, I would never perform an action which I believe defies love and peace. In such a way, I would then never defy MY God but rather only one that clearly does not possess those qualities.
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.