Christians! : What would you do if....

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Would you kill an innocent child if God demanded it of you?

No - but I would still be devoted to him
13%
Yes
30%
Yes - if it meant safe passage into heaven for me
No votes
No - and turn your back on God
57%

Total votes: 47

VermilionUK
Scholar

Christians! : What would you do if....

Post #1

Post by VermilionUK »

Hypothetically speaking, and assuming God exists:
If you were demanded- by God - to kill an innocent child, would you do it?
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
- Sherlock Holmes -

Pastor4Jesus
Sage

Post #51

Post by Pastor4Jesus »

JoshC wrote:I think the "manly man" would have the bollocks to stand up to God and abide by his own morals rather than kill a kid to be honest...
uh huh.... :eyebrow: Given the circumstances which wouldn't happen anyway I stand by my choice, if god wanted the kid infant embryo (the way I look at it we kill millions of kids every year by abortion) snuffed there would be a reason for it. Maybe the kid was baby Satan or something and you by not whacking him would allow all the pain of hell and every sin that has been committed into the universe, THANKS manly man! I would put my trust in God and kill the kid or myself or do whatever god wished.

P4JC
When Selfish Gene author Richard Dawkins challenged physicist John Barrow on his formulation of the constants of nature at last summer Templeton-Cambridge Journalism Fellowship lectures, Barrow laughed and said, “You have a problem with these ideas, Richard, because you aren''t really a scientist. You''re a biologist ! (Woo Hoo you go Barrow!)

Pastor4Jesus
Sage

Post #52

Post by Pastor4Jesus »

JoshC wrote:
God tests us
Why? Seeing as he's all knowing, he knew what you would have done anyway so the stress he put the child killer through was unneccessary and therefore rather mean in anyone (but your's) eyes.
First I think God does not know for sure what we will do! I think he knows with an exceedingly high probability what we will do, however, just as we know what a particle will do in a quantum system to a astonishingly high degree of probability (so high we can build circuits using quantum theory) God knows with an cosmically high degree of probability what we will do. This gives us our wiggle room for free will decisions, If God knew with a 100% degree of probability what we and the universe would do we would be robots doomed to do gods bidding exactly as he foresaw the future.

So with our free will comes the no pain no gain situations. Not only are we limited by the rules of probability we are limited in that we do not know the sum of the universes reason for being. So its obvious to me why the universe is as it is even with an 'omniscient' God. I could direct you to a scholarly write on the subject if you like?

P4JC
When Selfish Gene author Richard Dawkins challenged physicist John Barrow on his formulation of the constants of nature at last summer Templeton-Cambridge Journalism Fellowship lectures, Barrow laughed and said, “You have a problem with these ideas, Richard, because you aren''t really a scientist. You''re a biologist ! (Woo Hoo you go Barrow!)

VermilionUK
Scholar

Post #53

Post by VermilionUK »

Pastor4Jesus wrote:
JoshC wrote:I think the "manly man" would have the bollocks to stand up to God and abide by his own morals rather than kill a kid to be honest...
uh huh.... :eyebrow: Given the circumstances which wouldn't happen anyway I stand by my choice, if god wanted the kid infant embryo (the way I look at it we kill millions of kids every year by abortion) snuffed there would be a reason for it. Maybe the kid was baby Satan or something and you by not whacking him would allow all the pain of hell and every sin that has been committed into the universe, THANKS manly man! I would put my trust in God and kill the kid or myself or do whatever god wished.

P4JC
Are we not adding attributes to the OP in order to justify your decision here? Nowhere in the scenario given is there mention of the child being an embryo or infant. A child is older than an infant (probably 5-12yrs), hence the fact that I stated child and not embryo or infant. I was also trying to avoid the issue of abortions, as they have already been discussed in other threads.
Pastor4Jesus wrote:I would put my trust in God and kill the kid or myself or do whatever god wished.
I'd be careful to state things like that; you open yourself to lots of criticism and accusations of what you would be prepared to do for God when you state you'd do "whatever god wished".
Just saying :whistle:

Pastor4Jesus
Sage

Post #54

Post by Pastor4Jesus »

Whatever I simply do not believe those that say they would stand up to God if it was really God....

Besides, If he was evil he wouldn't be God (the God I worship) so the question is meaninglessness to me. For that reason I am through watching this topic, but its been interesting.

Maybe I will check back in a week or so from now....

P4JC

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #55

Post by Goat »

Pastor4Jesus wrote:No the perfect creator of the universe defines everything and makes right, right. He defines morals and he defines ethics (at least in your case of this theoretical God and the child that God created). If God ordered the child killed it would be morally and ethically correct because he could make it so.
So, things are good because , In your opinion, God said so?

Now, can you prove what god said about anything?

The Jewish faith has this concept of 'wrestling with God. Just because God says something doesn't make him right. Look at how Job tried to argue God down from
destroying S&G. He bargined him down for the number of rightous people that could be found.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Pastor4Jesus
Sage

Post #56

Post by Pastor4Jesus »

goat wrote:
Pastor4Jesus wrote:No the perfect creator of the universe defines everything and makes right, right. He defines morals and he defines ethics (at least in your case of this theoretical God and the child that God created). If God ordered the child killed it would be morally and ethically correct because he could make it so.

The Jewish faith has this concept of 'wrestling with God. Just because God says something doesn't make him right. Look at how Job tried to argue God down from
destroying S&G. He bargined him down for the number of rightous people that could be found.
Yes God is good. What do you mean by prove? Can you prove anyone of that antiquity said anything?

P4JC

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #57

Post by Goat »

Pastor4Jesus wrote:
goat wrote:

Yes God is good. What do you mean by prove? Can you prove anyone of that antiquity said anything?

P4JC
That is not the point at all. The point is that man has their own brains and their own intelligence...and must make their own choices.. even if it conflicts with what
God says .
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Pastor4Jesus
Sage

Post #58

Post by Pastor4Jesus »

That is not the point at all. The point is that man has their own brains and their own intelligence...and must make their own choices.. even if it conflicts with what
God says .
You think that represents intelligence? Man created by God, who by the way created the universe with a word, giving god the finger? That sounds like a loss of intelligence to me. Anyway its been attempted before ask Mr Noah when you get the chance. Or even Mr Lot might have something to say on the subject...

P4JC

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #59

Post by Goat »

Pastor4Jesus wrote:
God says .
You think that represents intelligence? Man created by God, who by the way created the universe with a word, giving god the finger? That sounds like a loss of intelligence to me. Anyway its been attempted before ask Mr Noah when you get the chance. Or even Mr Lot might have something to say on the subject...

P4JC
And so did Mr Abraham. Mindless obedience to authority is never good. This also shows on just how far away the evangalistic Christian mindset is away from the Jewish mindset.

Steven Novella

JoshC
Student

Post #60

Post by JoshC »

Man created by God, who by the way created the universe with a word, giving god the finger?
Most people would agree we don't have free will if you get punished for making the wrong decision.

Therefore you and I should agree that you can do what you want in this life (especially if it's the correct decision in most peoples eyes) and therefore stick to your own morals (ie. not murdering kids).

So I'll stick to giving anyone who asks me to kill kids the finger, thanks.