Christians! : What would you do if....

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Would you kill an innocent child if God demanded it of you?

No - but I would still be devoted to him
13%
Yes
30%
Yes - if it meant safe passage into heaven for me
No votes
No - and turn your back on God
57%

Total votes: 47

VermilionUK
Scholar

Christians! : What would you do if....

Post #1

Post by VermilionUK »

Hypothetically speaking, and assuming God exists:
If you were demanded- by God - to kill an innocent child, would you do it?
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
- Sherlock Holmes -

T-mash
Sage

Post #61

Post by T-mash »

Pastor4Jesus wrote:
That is not the point at all. The point is that man has their own brains and their own intelligence...and must make their own choices.. even if it conflicts with what
God says .
You think that represents intelligence? Man created by God, who by the way created the universe with a word, giving god the finger? That sounds like a loss of intelligence to me. Anyway its been attempted before ask Mr Noah when you get the chance. Or even Mr Lot might have something to say on the subject...

P4JC
And here comes the fun part. You have no way to tell God apart from a psychosis or voices in your head. In fact you can be tricked into "thinking" god tells you something (like Imam's do to young boys when they train them to be suicide bombers or terrorists "freedom fighters"). and you will obediently follow regardless of your own morals. Spooky stuff.
Isn’t this enough? Just this world?
Just this beautiful, complex, wonderfully unfathomable natural world?
How does it so fail to hold our attention
That we have to diminish it with the invention
Of cheap, man-made Myths and Monsters?
- Tim Minchin

JoshC
Student

Post #62

Post by JoshC »

Milgram's study on obedience sheds a lot of light on this stuff.

26 out of 40 people administered a 450 volt (the maximum) shock to another person just because a figure of authority told them to. The rest went most of the way.

FinalEnigma
Site Supporter

Post #63

Post by FinalEnigma »

Pastor4Jesus wrote: As it stands now here in this thread and in other thread like the armed christian thread we are becoming a nation of vagainazed men, girly men so to speak. Can't play tag in school because someones feelings might get hurt? Come on! *

*DISCLAIMER; I was taking a measure of 'artistic comical licenses' with a chunk of the latter part of this reply, I would hope I didn't have to write this but I did so because of past experiences

P4JC
If you feel the need to write a disclaimer for a joke because it's offensive, please just skip the joke. Yeah it's a joke, but this was still offensive.
We do not hate others because of the flaws in their souls, we hate them because of the flaws in our own.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #64

Post by JoeyKnothead »

FinalEnigma wrote:
Pastor4Jesus wrote: As it stands now here in this thread and in other thread like the armed christian thread we are becoming a nation of vagainazed men, girly men so to speak. Can't play tag in school because someones feelings might get hurt? Come on! *

*DISCLAIMER; I was taking a measure of 'artistic comical licenses' with a chunk of the latter part of this reply, I would hope I didn't have to write this but I did so because of past experiences

P4JC
If you feel the need to write a disclaimer for a joke because it's offensive, please just skip the joke. Yeah it's a joke, but this was still offensive.
If a joke must be clarified, is it really a joke? Or is this just a backhanded attempt to insult those the Pastor disagrees with? How to tell?

Pastor4Jesus
Sage

Post #65

Post by Pastor4Jesus »

JoshC wrote:Most people would agree we don't have free will if you get punished for making the wrong decision.
What? Why is that? I would say that we wouldn't have free will if could not make a decision right or wrong. I think God allows a free will decision but knows what we will do only with a degree of probability, having already made the calculation of what will happen in the future. Or if that is incorrect there is another way God may know the future without forcing our participation.
Therefore you and I should agree that you can do what you want in this life (especially if it's the correct decision in most peoples eyes) and therefore stick to your own morals (ie. not murdering kids).
I am sorry I don't agree with that. I do agree that man is capable of making good moral judgments with or without a moral authority, however the existence of a moral authority helps make man make those correct moral decisions. This is why I say secular humanism isn't bad , but its libel to be bad compared to a system that has an overseer.
So I'll stick to giving anyone who asks me to kill kids the finger, thanks.
I would like to think I would give pedos or murders more of a measure of my ire than the finger, but I get the point.

P4jc
When Selfish Gene author Richard Dawkins challenged physicist John Barrow on his formulation of the constants of nature at last summer Templeton-Cambridge Journalism Fellowship lectures, Barrow laughed and said, “You have a problem with these ideas, Richard, because you aren''t really a scientist. You''re a biologist ! (Woo Hoo you go Barrow!)

Pastor4Jesus
Sage

Post #66

Post by Pastor4Jesus »

JoshC wrote:Milgram's study on obedience sheds a lot of light on this stuff.

26 out of 40 people administered a 450 volt (the maximum) shock to another person just because a figure of authority told them to. The rest went most of the way.
That's true and it didn't even take into account the sadistic nature of humans.

P4JC
When Selfish Gene author Richard Dawkins challenged physicist John Barrow on his formulation of the constants of nature at last summer Templeton-Cambridge Journalism Fellowship lectures, Barrow laughed and said, “You have a problem with these ideas, Richard, because you aren''t really a scientist. You''re a biologist ! (Woo Hoo you go Barrow!)

Pastor4Jesus
Sage

Post #67

Post by Pastor4Jesus »

FinalEnigma wrote:

P4JC
No thanks. The joke wasn't offensive but the language may of been. I can tell you that many comments regarding god are massively offensive to me, and personally I would like a disclaimer for each usage of a 'maybe offensive' remark about God. However that isn't practical nor is a request to know when a term or a joke is offensive to someone.

P4JC

Pastor4Jesus
Sage

Post #68

Post by Pastor4Jesus »

joeyknuccione wrote:
FinalEnigma wrote:

P4JC
If a joke must be clarified, is it really a joke? Or is this just a backhanded attempt to insult those the Pastor disagrees with? How to tell?
See above. If I was going to offend someone on purpose but covertly I can assure you I could easily do so without writing a disclaimer. What I wonder if these two comments were simply an attempt to discredit me. See how it works? Lastly the joke could of not be taken personally as I called on the nation of men not any member etc so if someone thinks the artistic licenses were directed at them personally that's their own paranoia kicking in.

On an unrelated issue. Is the poll closed? How long has it been closed? There were seven votes when I thought the poll closed . However now there are nine votes. Is it still open?

P4JC

VermilionUK
Scholar

Post #69

Post by VermilionUK »

Pastor4Jesus wrote: On an unrelated issue. Is the poll closed? How long has it been closed? There were seven votes when I thought the poll closed . However now there are nine votes. Is it still open?

P4JC
There's no end date on the poll, I thought it would be better to be a continuing poll to enable new users/readers to vote, rather than close it now.

Sir Rhetor
Apprentice

Post #70

Post by Sir Rhetor »

Pastor4Jesus wrote:Lastly the joke could of not be taken personally as I called on the nation of men not any member etc so if someone thinks the artistic licenses were directed at them personally that's their own paranoia kicking in.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

You should rethink that. Directing four-letter words at any nation, especially if that nation is primarily one religious/ethnic group (eg Israel, Saudi Arabia, China, Nigeria, etc) can and will be seen as offensive. From personal experience, it is better to assume the group you are referring to has thin skin than large brains.