"God-Only" guy longs to worship with Christians

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

HandsRaised
Student

"God-Only" guy longs to worship with Christians

Post #1

Post by HandsRaised »

Recent domestic traumas have finally shaken me back to my Deist roots . This time I'm brave enough to listen to my heart where I find real intimacy with a personal working God. My heart finds no need for a mediator -- none. In fact, it offends my spirit to mention anything about "God becoming flesh" (your mileage may vary)

I simply want to worship God in song and praise -- as I do in private -- with other believers as well. That basically limits me to worshiping with Christians since I come from that religion and there are no other options here.

I'm conflicted on how I can honestly worship with Christians -- if I must hide the essential truth that I worship "God-only" -- directly -- and I'm offended by the idea of a "mediator" (Christian Scripture notwithstanding). I'm quite satisfied that we worship the same God -- and that none of us have the whole Truth because it's not for mortal men.

Please, my stance is not up-for-debate -- only whether I can honestly worship freely with "Jesus-People" -- or must I worship honestly -- in the shadows.

Wood-Man
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Wood-Man »

Is there only a single UU congregation in your area? They vary significantly from one UU church to another, both in style and content. Also, did you really mean "deist" or did you actually mean "theist?" A deist would have many issues with Christian worship services beyond just the Trinity.

Telora
Apprentice

Re: "God-Only" guy longs to worship with Christian

Post #12

Post by Telora »

HandsRaised wrote:Recent domestic traumas have finally shaken me back to my Deist roots . This time I'm brave enough to listen to my heart where I find real intimacy with a personal working God. My heart finds no need for a mediator -- none. In fact, it offends my spirit to mention anything about "God becoming flesh" (your mileage may vary)

I simply want to worship God in song and praise -- as I do in private -- with other believers as well. That basically limits me to worshiping with Christians since I come from that religion and there are no other options here.

I'm conflicted on how I can honestly worship with Christians -- if I must hide the essential truth that I worship "God-only" -- directly -- and I'm offended by the idea of a "mediator" (Christian Scripture notwithstanding). I'm quite satisfied that we worship the same God -- and that none of us have the whole Truth because it's not for mortal men.

Please, my stance is not up-for-debate -- only whether I can honestly worship freely with "Jesus-People" -- or must I worship honestly -- in the shadows.
this was one of the hardest things for me to resolve, i suppose i have to admit i used some occult understandings to tie the two aspects together understanding how two souls can survive in one body being entirely separate, yet the same.

gods are easy to understand, toss in a little humanity and confusion arises.

flitzerbiest
Sage

Re: "God-Only" guy longs to worship with Christian

Post #13

Post by flitzerbiest »

HandsRaised wrote:Recent domestic traumas have finally shaken me back to my Deist roots . This time I'm brave enough to listen to my heart where I find real intimacy with a personal working God. My heart finds no need for a mediator -- none. In fact, it offends my spirit to mention anything about "God becoming flesh" (your mileage may vary)

Sounds like you need to write your own music.

HandsRaised
Student

Post #14

Post by HandsRaised »

Big Thanks to all for responding here. I did go to a Unitarian church -- where I met a very nice Atheist! OMG

So, realtime "virtual church" via Lakewood and Joel Osteen is definitely working for me. I dance, sing and cry along with Lakewood -- often 3 times a week. I do have socialization issues -- so it's really quite perfect for me.

I guess the real take-away here is that the virtual church is looming large for more and more of us. It allows me to worship freely -- while avoiding any derision for my own revelations and beliefs.

It's just amazing how united we are all in honest praise and worship to God. I used to think that only the doctrine really mattered -- now I know that active praise and worship are in fact "The keys to the kingdom". Rejoice my brothers (and again I say rejoice)

Wood-Man
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Wood-Man »

You should read some of the transcendentalist writers like Emerson and Thoreau.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by bjs »

HandsRaised wrote:Big Thanks to all for responding here. I did go to a Unitarian church -- where I met a very nice Atheist! OMG

So, realtime "virtual church" via Lakewood and Joel Osteen is definitely working for me. I dance, sing and cry along with Lakewood -- often 3 times a week. I do have socialization issues -- so it's really quite perfect for me.

I guess the real take-away here is that the virtual church is looming large for more and more of us. It allows me to worship freely -- while avoiding any derision for my own revelations and beliefs.

It's just amazing how united we are all in honest praise and worship to God. I used to think that only the doctrine really mattered -- now I know that active praise and worship are in fact "The keys to the kingdom". Rejoice my brothers (and again I say rejoice)
I fear you may be selling yourself short with this approach. Stay-at-home church has its appeal, but community is a big part religious worship (at least within Christianity, and I think in many other religions as well). There is something about gathering together with other people that cannot be matched by the Electronic Church. I’m not sure if I can fully explain the difference, but it is there. Being together with other believes changes both the short term experience and the long term spiritual development. I encourage you to continue to search for a place where you feel comfortable worshiping with other people.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

HandsRaised
Student

Post #17

Post by HandsRaised »

bjs wrote:I fear you may be selling yourself short with this approach. Stay-at-home church has its appeal, but community is a big part religious worship... There is something about gathering together with other people that cannot be matched by the Electronic Church.
Thank you -- how prophetic. I was invited to a "Charismatic" church today -- and your admonition came to mind. I went to it.

This time -- I had 2 years of trauma to soften my heart and open my ears. When I heard praise for Jesus -- I listened with my heart. Instead of the words -- I heard "the music" -- and it seemed to come from the same contrite spirit as my "more carefully honed" praise. We prayed with the same voice -- only with different words. The fellowship was indeed more intense. I shared something profound with other wailing mortal souls.

Thank you brother -- you were spot-on.