What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Misty
Apprentice

Loyalty

Post #1

Post by Misty »

How far does your loyalty extend? Here are two scenarios

I. A close member of your family has committed a crime, you have asked them to hand themselves in, but they refuse, would you inform the police?

2. The vicar/pastor/priest at your church has been accused of interfering with a child. Some members of the congregation, think it should be covered up because they like his ministry, would you ask the police to investigate?

Thankfully I have never had any experience of this. In the first case I wouldn't let family loyalty get in the way of reporting the family member, even if it was my husband or child, however hard it would be to do so.

In the second case, if I attended a church, I would have no hesitation in reporting the clergyman.

In the 60s the pastor of our pentecostal church, a friend of my parents, volunteered to bring me home each week from the Wednesday night youth service, I was 14. He would drive with his left hand rubbing my thigh, telling me what a beautiful mother I had! In those days my mother was a stunner! I felt uncomfortable, and did mention it to my father who laughed, and didn't treat it seriously! If one of my children reported a similar incident to me the bloke concerned would have not only have his dangly bits tied tight around his neck, I would have asked the police to investigate.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Loyalty

Post #21

Post by nobspeople »

Misty wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:00 pm How far does your loyalty extend? Here are two scenarios

I. A close member of your family has committed a crime, you have asked them to hand themselves in, but they refuse, would you inform the police?

2. The vicar/pastor/priest at your church has been accused of interfering with a child. Some members of the congregation, think it should be covered up because they like his ministry, would you ask the police to investigate?

Thankfully I have never had any experience of this. In the first case I wouldn't let family loyalty get in the way of reporting the family member, even if it was my husband or child, however hard it would be to do so.

In the second case, if I attended a church, I would have no hesitation in reporting the clergyman.

In the 60s the pastor of our pentecostal church, a friend of my parents, volunteered to bring me home each week from the Wednesday night youth service, I was 14. He would drive with his left hand rubbing my thigh, telling me what a beautiful mother I had! In those days my mother was a stunner! I felt uncomfortable, and did mention it to my father who laughed, and didn't treat it seriously! If one of my children reported a similar incident to me the bloke concerned would have not only have his dangly bits tied tight around his neck, I would have asked the police to investigate.
I have family members that are/were in to drugs badly. In the case of my brother, he had everything: wife, home, two good kids, great paying job, two new cars, a dog - he was only missing the white picket fence. He started with alcohol them used a family tragedy to make the jump to drugs, prostitutions, etc. He lost his job. He cashed out his 40K (over $80K) and went through that in a little over 2 months. He lost his wife. His kids have nothing to do with him. He's physically attacked several people including punching our sister in her chest. Long story short, he had everything one could want and, after much support from the family, lost it all.
If I were ever to see him do something illegal, the police would be called immediately. Fortunately I've never had to do that because when he's out of jail he's usually back in 2-3 weeks on his own accord.
If I saw any church leader or church itself do something illegal, they'd be turned in so fat it would make their heads spin.
I would give my family more leeway than a church member simply because a church member, while not perfect, should have a better grasp on what's wrong or right than someone not part of any church.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!