My neighbor is starving his dog.

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

BwhoUR
Sage

My neighbor is starving his dog.

Post #1

Post by BwhoUR »

So my neighbor's dog was milling around outside when my neighbor was at work. So I brought her (shepherd mix puppy) to my yard and put a note on my neighbor's door. I could see her spine and there is hair loss around her face (I assume from malnutrition). I fed her a bowl of my dog's food and she gulped it down, didn't even take a moment to chew, she also gulped the water I put down for her. My neighbor said he forgot to feed her before he left for work, obviously, you don't get that skinny from one day of missed meals, he also said she didn't have any illnesses (that he knew of). We offered to buy him a bad of dogfood (he declined) and told him we knew she wasn't being fed regularly. What would you do?

PS She doesn't have worms either, we checked her poop.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

No ethical dilemma. Report him to the local Humane Society.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #3

Post by BwhoUR »

McCulloch wrote:No ethical dilemma. Report him to the local Humane Society.
Do I wait and see if he starts feeding her now that he knows someone is watching or should I report him without a second chance? I really want to do the right thing but not jump the gun.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Ooberman »

suckka wrote:
Do I wait and see if he starts feeding her now that he knows someone is watching or should I report him without a second chance? I really want to do the right thing but not jump the gun.
I would take the pain of a innocent animal, who each day is suffering and possibly having long term health problems over the idiot who cruelly keeps an animal he can't afford, or cares for.

I'd report him, but deny that you did, since you have to live next to him.

It just isn't right for someone to treat an animal like that. And each day increases the suffering on this planet.

Think of it this way - you could do the right thing and intervene to stop the suffering, or, you could act like God and watch the poor animal starve to death.

(To be clear, I mean intervene by calling the Humane Society)

BTW, animal abuse is a sign of deeper psychological trouble and I worry about your neighbor's family, if he has one. Does he have children? Is he married?

I would seriously worry about the safety of my children and others around someone like that.
Last edited by Ooberman on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

McCulloch wrote: No ethical dilemma. Report him to the local Humane Society.
suckka wrote: Do I wait and see if he starts feeding her now that he knows someone is watching or should I report him without a second chance? I really want to do the right thing but not jump the gun.
You are not the one who decides whether action should be taken nor are you the one who will decide if a legal offense has occurred. That is the job of the officials at the local Humane Society. They are trained in these matters and are the correct authority to decide what action if any, should be taken. If things are as you claim, the dog did not get that way overnight. If you suspect wrongdoing, report it to the proper authority, who will investigate.

If you feel competent to do the Humane Society's job, then by all means do so.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #6

Post by BwhoUR »

Thank you both for your insight. You are both right.

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #7

Post by BwhoUR »

Ooberman wrote:
suckka wrote:
I would take the pain of a innocent animal, who each day is suffering and possibly having long term health problems over the idiot who cruelly keeps an animal he can't afford, or cares for.

It just isn't right for someone to treat an animal like that. And each day increases the suffering on this planet.

Think of it this way - you could do the right thing and intervene to stop the suffering, or, you could act like God and watch the poor animal starve to death.

BTW, animal abuse is a sign of deeper psychological trouble and I worry about your neighbor's family, if he has one. Does he have children? Is he married?

I would seriously worry about the safety of my children and others around someone like that.
No family (divorced), no children. I called Humanane Society, they are going to send an officer out. Even though (for selfish reasons) I am uneasy about the outcome, I know I did the right thing. Thanks again.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Ooberman »

suckka wrote:
Ooberman wrote:
suckka wrote:

No family (divorced), no children. I called Humanane Society, they are going to send an officer out. Even though (for selfish reasons) I am uneasy about the outcome, I know I did the right thing. Thanks again.
You have my full support, and I'm sure others feel the same. You did the right thing. Thanks.

BwhoUR
Sage

Update.

Post #9

Post by BwhoUR »

Lulu is doing better than ever. She is being fed and watered daily now. Humane Society came and posted a note on his door, for a few days nothing was done. I sent them a video of Lulu savagely drinking and eating through the fence and demanded action (once I jump, I jump in all the way). Now there is more food outside than she can eat. She has grown so much and licks my hand through the fence when I greet her in the morning. The only drawback is that he never plays with her or brings her in the house, so I talk to her a lot. Thanks to my friends and fellow dog-lovers here, Lulu will be fine.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Re: Update.

Post #10

Post by Ooberman »

suckka wrote:Lulu is doing better than ever. She is being fed and watered daily now. Humane Society came and posted a note on his door, for a few days nothing was done. I sent them a video of Lulu savagely drinking and eating through the fence and demanded action (once I jump, I jump in all the way). Now there is more food outside than she can eat. She has grown so much and licks my hand through the fence when I greet her in the morning. The only drawback is that he never plays with her or brings her in the house, so I talk to her a lot. Thanks to my friends and fellow dog-lovers here, Lulu will be fine.
That's great news! And to think it happened without prayer but with the less spectacular method of actually doing something! :-)

(Now, watch Lulu will eat a baby and everyone will say she should have been put down... thanks a lot, sukka!) :-)
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees