Save Yourself or a Hundred Others

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

ChaosBorders
Site Supporter

Save Yourself or a Hundred Others

Post #1

Post by ChaosBorders »

Medical Treatments in the United States are quite expensive, often running in the thousands of dollars, even for people with insurance. The cost to save a child from dying of Vitamin A deficiency in Africa, however, is roughly $65.

So if you had the choice of saving yourself for $6500, or the choice of saving a hundred children for the same amount, which would you choose?

ChaosBorders
Site Supporter

Re: Save Yourself or a Hundred Others

Post #21

Post by ChaosBorders »

SomePunk wrote:
ChaosBorders wrote:Medical Treatments in the United States are quite expensive, often running in the thousands of dollars, even for people with insurance. The cost to save a child from dying of Vitamin A deficiency in Africa, however, is roughly $65.

What? I thought it only cost a dollar a day to save a kid in Africa.
Adding decades to someone's life for $65 actually comes out to a lot less than a $1 a day.
SomePunk wrote: I would probably save myself. I have no reason to save anyone else and my life is just as good as any other persons. As a matter of fact if I had the money I wouldn't waste my time saving someone else in some other country. They can save themselves. They are not my responsibility.
Most of what you say here is technically true, depending on how one views it, except for your statement that they can save themselves. Apparently they can't, or they wouldn't be dying. Children generally do not have the resources or skills to save themselves.