Be a Vampire?

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Squall
Student

Be a Vampire?

Post #1

Post by Squall »

So one night your walking down the street and a Vampie swoops down picks you up and flys you to a roof top. He/She what ever you prefer says Im gonna kill myself but before I do that I want to make you a vampire. As a vampire you will stay young forever, you will only get stronger and more powerfull with age. Fire, having your head choped off and sunlight are the only things that can kill you. But you must feed on the blood of the living and watch those you love grow old and die, you could also never eat food or have sex ever again. You could of course make all your loved ones vampires but thats a little impractical. If you refuse I will leave you alone and never return. IF you accept I will let you be alive one more day and make you a vampire the next nigt.

would you take this vampire up on his offer or pass it up?

Dilettante
Sage

Post #11

Post by Dilettante »

Killing other people cannot be ethical, but the vampire does so to survive. In a sense, it would be "moral" (but probably never ethical) for the vampire to prey on others. If a vampire wanted to be ethical perhaps he or she could prey on animals. But a vampire would always be living on the margins of society. A vampire would have to learn to hide, dodge vampire hunters, avoid the society of men and women... Call me unromantic, but I wouldn't choose to be one of the "undead"... (Background music: "Bela Lugosi's Dead" by Bauhaus).

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by ST88 »

Squall wrote:I admit I based this question from vampires according to the rules that Anne Rice set up in Interview with the Vampire. Rician vampires usually not always but usually undergo a change of nature that is more predatory when becomeing a vampire this makes thier objections to killing well less objectionable. The Character Louis fought his instinct to kill but eventually he gave in. Assuming you knew your nature would change and killing would become easy to you would you still with the ethics that you have now willingly undergo a change that would forever alter your morals?
Essentially, you are asking me if I would like to become a sociopath in exchange for being such for all eternity. If true, in the exchange I believe I would lose the ability to appreciate my eternal life for what it was. I don't think I would care that much about the sweep of history if I were given this new set of morals.

As a newly minted sociopath, I would be focused on day-to-day survival. Maintaining my own life, as it were, would be of paramount importance not just because death were possible, as it is now, but because the alternative is to continue living. This isn't true for us mortal beings because death is inevitable, and death at any time in one's life could be seen as premature. But if death weren't inevitable, then "premature" would not begin to cover just how undesirable death would be. Essentially, it would be "game over" not just because the game was over, but because we had lost the game. I.e., it would take an act of either 1) stupidity (staying out too late -- or early), or 2) enemy action, in order to be bumped out of the game. In other words, extreme paranoia would take over. To the myself that is the myself now, this is undesirable.

Squall
Student

Post #13

Post by Squall »

Dilettante wrote: A vampire would have to learn to hide, dodge vampire hunters, avoid the society of men and women.
Why do you have to avoid society? Sure you will have some "odd" sleeping paterns, and try avoid situations where you would be expected to eat and drink food but do you truely need to isolate yourself from human kind? Especially if you fed exclusively on animals which many people do on a regular basis, the only diffence being its the blood of a live animal and maybe once a week.

And vampire hunters..hmm. I suppose if you didnt attract too much attention to yourself like flying around at parties and crawling on walls to spook your neighbors it could be possible to avoid possible hunters.

Dilettante
Sage

Post #14

Post by Dilettante »

Squall wrote:
Why do you have to avoid society? Sure you will have some "odd" sleeping paterns, and try avoid situations where you would be expected to eat and drink food but do you truely need to isolate yourself from human kind? Especially if you fed exclusively on animals which many people do on a regular basis, the only diffence being its the blood of a live animal and maybe once a week.
Well, yes but what I meant is you probably wouldn't be able to have friends among humans. Superficial relations are one thing, but friendship requires sincerity, and you could not risk that.

Squall
Student

Post #15

Post by Squall »

So if vampirism was forced upon you would you break all ties with all your friends and family?

Dilettante
Sage

Post #16

Post by Dilettante »

Squall wrote:
So if vampirism was forced upon you would you break all ties with all your friends and family?
I don't think my family could resist it. Besides, I wouldn't want people to associate them with me. Vampirism carries a nasty social stigma. It's either that or ask them to drive a stake through my chest (Ouch!).

Squall
Student

Post #17

Post by Squall »

Dilettante wrote: I wouldn't want people to associate them with me. Vampirism carries a nasty social stigma. It's either that or ask them to drive a stake through my chest (Ouch!).
Thats of course if you live your life openly vampiric. Which of course most people would just say your a whacked out freak but if you tried to prove it I would expect other vampires who like thier existance hidden might try and kill you. Also many governments organizations would like to study you. This could ruins someones good time.

Lycan
Student

Post #18

Post by Lycan »

I would absolutely accept for a number of reasons. To be able to see what happens next... after my life, what will happen. To save my loved ones the pain of watching me die. To see my great, great, great.....etc. grandchildren. To learn everything, to know. As far as killing goes, I could kill animals instead of humans, but then again if conscience was not there, I could kill humans.

Squall
Student

Post #19

Post by Squall »

Lycan wrote: To see my great, great, great.....etc. grandchildren. To learn everything, to know. As far as killing goes, I could kill animals instead of humans, but then again if conscience was not there, I could kill humans.
You best have those kids already becuase once you turn no more babies for you.

angelic_spirit
Student

Post #20

Post by angelic_spirit »

I would choose No.

Mainly because i'm at peace with this life, and the next life as well.
I'm not afraid of growing old, nor accepting my place within the time line of things.
I look forward to experiencing all stages of my life.

And i love the sun, and the taste of food. I would hate to be captive to the night and blood.

Sure there's alot to be said for "seeing" the future, but there is also much wisdom and peace being part of this life, then just simply watching it go by .

Just my opinion of course O:)

Blessings

Angelic