polygamy

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Hi all,

So I got married and here is our wedding vow

With this ring I wed you
With my body I serve you
All that I am and all that I have I give to you
In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Does that vow allow for polygamy and if you believe in polygamy do you think you can meet the standard of love that vow demands or do you think that standard is ridiculous and the vow is at best romantic fluff or is there a harder counter that people have?

What room really is there for polygamy within love?

stupidstupid
Student

Re: polygamy

Post #2

Post by stupidstupid »

Wootah wrote:Hi all,

So I got married and here is our wedding vow

With this ring I wed you
With my body I serve you
All that I am and all that I have I give to you
In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Does that vow allow for polygamy and if you believe in polygamy do you think you can meet the standard of love that vow demands or do you think that standard is ridiculous and the vow is at best romantic fluff or is there a harder counter that people have?

What room really is there for polygamy within love?

Hi,

In my interpretation, marriage is a commitment between two people who promise to forsake all others as long as they both live... therefore there is no room for polygamy in a marriage when the married people undertake these traditionally Christian vows. There may be room for this type of marriage within other cultures and other vows of commitment though :-k

Su

rosey
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by rosey »

i think the idea is stupid, and that really about sums up my attitude. i wanna be with whoever i want whenever i want. whats the point of commitment by marriage?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Goat »

rosey wrote:i think the idea is stupid, and that really about sums up my attitude. i wanna be with whoever i want whenever i want. whats the point of commitment by marriage?
There are certain rights that are given to married couples that single folks don't get. They get breaks on taxes, they get shared medical benefits often, they automatically get visitation rights in hospitals, and have the right to make medical decisions for their partner in emergencies.

All in all, the number is quoted that there are 1300 rights that a married couple has that have been denied to gay and lesbian couples.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

rosey
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by rosey »

Goat wrote:
rosey wrote:i think the idea is stupid, and that really about sums up my attitude. i wanna be with whoever i want whenever i want. whats the point of commitment by marriage?
There are certain rights that are given to married couples that single folks don't get. They get breaks on taxes, they get shared medical benefits often, they automatically get visitation rights in hospitals, and have the right to make medical decisions for their partner in emergencies.

All in all, the number is quoted that there are 1300 rights that a married couple has that have been denied to gay and lesbian couples.
I'm not saying i don't think men should be allowed to marry men and women women, i'm just saying i feel there's more -'s than +'s. I definitely think gays and lesbians should have the rights of a heteosexual couple, if not more.

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

Please stay on topic.

stupidstupid
Student

Post #7

Post by stupidstupid »

Sorry - I didn't have much time to reply to this post when I replied before..

I believe in both polygamy and monogamy. I've been in relationships and been completely monogamous but in other relationships where we both agreed to see other people then that worked as well. For me, the key is communication and agreeing upon the boundaries of the relationship early on. If I ever get married I assume that me and my partner will be monogamous but if I found someone I liked that wanted to see other people then I may be okay with that...

In short, I don't feel that true polygamy is for me, I will never say never because I think that it is more than possible to be in love with more than one person at a time.

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

stupidstupid wrote:Sorry - I didn't have much time to reply to this post when I replied before..

I believe in both polygamy and monogamy. I've been in relationships and been completely monogamous but in other relationships where we both agreed to see other people then that worked as well. For me, the key is communication and agreeing upon the boundaries of the relationship early on. If I ever get married I assume that me and my partner will be monogamous but if I found someone I liked that wanted to see other people then I may be okay with that...

In short, I don't feel that true polygamy is for me, I will never say never because I think that it is more than possible to be in love with more than one person at a time.
Yes but what room is there for polygamy and love? Do you honestly feel you love your partner when you are with your other partner? Also polygamy isn't cheating or an agreement to sleep with others but it is an agreement to a 2nd partner. I think you are talking about an open relationship?

stupidstupid
Student

Post #9

Post by stupidstupid »

I am indeed talking about an open relationship but since i've not been in a polygamous marriage I was trying to explain that I feel the same towards polygamy as I do towards having multiple partners; from what i've seen of polygamous marriages they seem to work out reasonably well. I therefore feel that there is room for polygamy and love to coexist cohesively.

When i've had more than one partner at a time I didn't care about one person more than the other and didn't feel as if they cared about me more or less than the other person that they were with either. I've always cared about/loved each different person i've been friends with or had a relationship with in an entirely unique way to all others anyway so feel that if someone decides they are agreeable to polygamy then there is plenty of room to love everyone.

I'm usually monogamous but have no problem with considering a polygamous marriage if the person/people are ones which I love.

Do you believe that there is room for polygamy and love?
Would you enter into a polygamous marriage?

stupidstupid
Student

Post #10

Post by stupidstupid »

stupidstupid wrote:I am indeed talking about an open relationship but since i've not been in a polygamous marriage I was trying to explain that I feel the same towards polygamy as I do towards having multiple partners; from what i've seen of polygamous marriages they seem to work out reasonably well. I therefore feel that there is room for polygamy and love to coexist cohesively.

When i've had more than one partner at a time I didn't care about one person more than the other and didn't feel as if they cared about me more or less than the other person that they were with either. I've always cared about/loved each different person i've been friends with or had a relationship with in an entirely unique way to all others anyway so feel that if someone decides they are agreeable to polygamy then there is plenty of room to love everyone.

I'm usually monogamous but have no problem with considering a polygamous marriage if the person/people are ones which I love.

Do you believe that there is room for polygamy and love?
Would you enter into a polygamous marriage?
edited to ask - did you enter into a polygamous marriage?