Would you kill for god?

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Would you kill for god?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

If you belive the bible, god has directed people to kill others, both individually (Abraham) and collectively (Joshua).
So, if god asked you to kill someone, would you?
How would you be sure that he really wants you to do it, after all he has asked it before of others?

john_anthony_gonzalez
Student

Re: Would you kill for god?

Post #91

Post by john_anthony_gonzalez »

McCulloch wrote:
McCulloch wrote:If you belive the bible, god has directed people to kill others, both individually (Abraham) and collectively (Joshua).
How would you be sure that he really wants you to do it, after all he has asked it before of others?
crystalmage wrote:I would not kill for god.
Why not? If God is real and God wanted you to kill, why would you refuse?
This is a good question, but i have a question too
Do you know why God asked Abraham and Joshua to offer up a sacrifice or to lead a war againts the people that stood in the way of the land God promised them

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #92

Post by McCulloch »

McCulloch wrote:
McCulloch wrote:If you belive the bible, god has directed people to kill others, both individually (Abraham) and collectively (Joshua).
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:This is a good question, but i have a question too
Unless your question leads to an answer to my question, you have missed the point. I was hoping for an answer not a question, but I'll play along, hoping that this leads somewhere.
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:Do you know why God asked Abraham and Joshua to offer up a sacrifice or to lead a war againts the people that stood in the way of the land God promised them
No, I don't. Do you?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

john_anthony_gonzalez
Student

Post #93

McCulloch wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:This is a good question, but i have a question too
Unless your question leads to an answer to my question, you have missed the point. I was hoping for an answer not a question, but I'll play along, hoping that this leads somewhere.
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:Do you know why God asked Abraham and Joshua to offer up a sacrifice or to lead a war againts the people that stood in the way of the land God promised them
No, I don't. Do you?
God promised Abraham a son by his wife Sarah, but Abraham had to be patient and wait. God finally gave Abraham his son when he was 100yrs old and Sarah was past the age of conceiving naturally. God told Abraham that his son would be the father of many nations so this was a pretty big deal on having this kid and waiting so long. Nothing is taken in account to what Abraham thought when God asked him to offer him the bible just tells Christians that Abraham was completely obediant. This whole thing God did was to confirm Abraham's faith

Joshua was the leader of the Army of God. God promised them the land of Canaan that had first been promised to Abraham hundred of years before. Even though God allowed Abraham's descendants to be slaves in a foreign land (slaves in egypt). He nevertheless promised to bring them back to their own land. All they had to do was take it. and a major part of it was taking it by faith. Many times they were outnumbered and they doubted that they would win. And like many battles over land people died.

i just want to make sure people get a clear understanding of what the story were

and to answer the question Yes i would kill for God, But i would never murder for God

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #94

Post by McCulloch »

john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:God promised Abraham a son by his wife Sarah, but Abraham had to be patient and wait. God finally gave Abraham his son when he was 100yrs old and Sarah was past the age of conceiving naturally. God told Abraham that his son would be the father of many nations so this was a pretty big deal on having this kid and waiting so long. Nothing is taken in account to what Abraham thought when God asked him to offer him the bible just tells Christians that Abraham was completely obedient. This whole thing God did was to confirm Abraham's faith
Why would God need to confirm Abraham's faith? Didn't God already know?

john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:Joshua was the leader of the Army of God. God promised them the land of Canaan that had first been promised to Abraham hundred of years before. Even though God allowed Abraham's descendants to be slaves in a foreign land (slaves in Egypt). He nevertheless promised to bring them back to their own land.
But it was never their land. Other people were living there.
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:All they had to do was take it.
And completely slaughter the inhabitants.
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:and a major part of it was taking it by faith. Many times they were outnumbered and they doubted that they would win. And like many battles over land people died.
People died. Passive voice. It sounds like it was an inevitable part of the Children of Israel taking the land. It was not that people died. People who had inhabited the land were brutally killed so that the invaders could take over their homes, their towns, their farms and vineyards, because the tribal god of the invaders wanted them to.
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:i just want to make sure people get a clear understanding of what the story were

and to answer the question Yes i would kill for God, But i would never murder for God
So murder is out but genocide is OK? Thank you for clearing that up.
Gospel of John

john_anthony_gonzalez
Student

Post #95

Yes God already knew,
And completely slaughter the inhabitants.
Is this a opinion or fact that your stating
So murder is out but genocide is OK? Thank you for clearing that up.
If your asking if i would genocide for God, no i would not. Thats far from being in a war with two sides
Does the fact that you dont believe in God affect whether one exist or not?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #96

Post by McCulloch »

john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:Yes God already knew,
Then why would He have to test it?
McCulloch wrote:And completely slaughter the inhabitants.
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:Is this a opinion or fact that your stating
Joshua 8:23-25 wrote:But they took alive the king of Ai and brought him to Joshua. Now when Israel had finished killing all the inhabitants of Ai in the field in the wilderness where they pursued them, and all of them were fallen by the edge of the sword until they were destroyed, then all Israel returned to Ai and struck it with the edge of the sword. All who fell that day, both men and women, were 12,000--all the people of Ai.
Numbers 21:34-35 wrote:But the LORD said to Moses, "Do not fear him, for I have given him into your hand, and all his people and his land; and you shall do to him as you did to Sihon, king of the Amorites, who lived at Heshbon." So they killed him and his sons and all his people, until there was no remnant left him; and they possessed his land.
You tell me, fact or fiction.
McCulloch wrote:So murder is out but genocide is OK? Thank you for clearing that up.
john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:If your asking if i would genocide for God, no i would not. Thats far from being in a war with two sides
Yes, two sides. One side, the invaders who's tribal god tells them to completely wipe out those who inhabit the land. The other side, the original inhabitants who are defending themselves from the genocidal invaders. Guess which side your God is on.
Gospel of John

jack8256
Student

Post #97

Post by jack8256 »

No, even if God existed and controlled everything No. Any God who would whant his creations to kill each other for any reason exept for food, survival or to defend the world (hitler) is no god of mine. If he asked you to kill someone whithout one of those reasons then that would prove Him/Her to be evil and unworthy of worship, even if it meant the end of existence.

Id also like to take this opertuneaty to critisise tha people in the bible who were willing to kill people for the lord without reason. Those people Are either stupid or evil.

alexdocherty
Student

Maybe

Post #98

Post by alexdocherty »

Maybe if God hadn't had made the supposed Tree of Knowledge of Life and Death then maybe people wouldn't have to kill each other. God invented death. It's 'His' fault that it happens.

(I say all of this theoretically, I personally do not believe the Genesis story has any truth to it)

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Maybe

Post #99

Post by Goat »

alexdocherty wrote:Maybe if God hadn't had made the supposed Tree of Knowledge of Life and Death then maybe people wouldn't have to kill each other. God invented death. It's 'His' fault that it happens.

(I say all of this theoretically, I personally do not believe the Genesis story has any truth to it)
I think it has truth to it.. but it didn't happen from a historical point of view. It is a teaching story..
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella