Would you kill for god?

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Would you kill for god?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

If you belive the bible, god has directed people to kill others, both individually (Abraham) and collectively (Joshua).
So, if god asked you to kill someone, would you?
How would you be sure that he really wants you to do it, after all he has asked it before of others?

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #51

Post by Cathar1950 »

How about would you die for God?
It seems many don't have a problem killing for God.
I question the sanity of anyone that suggest we do either.
But there are stories of early Christians asking to be killed for God.

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Post #52

Post by Greatest I Am »

Cathar1950 wrote:How about would you die for God?
A man who will not either kill or die with his bonafide God in his face asking for this deed, then we can say that that man is truly a fool.

Regards
DL

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #53

Post by Cathar1950 »

Greatest I Am wrote:
A man who will not either kill or die with his bonafide God in his face asking for this deed, then we can say that that man is truly a fool.

Regards
DL
We can can we?

We send our children to war. I think that is enough.
If a God wants us to kill or be killed for Him then he needs to be more clear.I think it is a fool or a crazy person that thinks God ask for either.
Even in the story of Abraham the elohim or gods ask him to sacrifice his son and an angle of Yahweh stops him.
People don't have a bonified gos in their face, remember no one has seen God and lived?
But thanks for calling me a fool.
I hate to see you put yourself in danger of judgement but oh well.

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Fool

Post #54

Post by Greatest I Am »

Cathar1950 wrote:
Greatest I Am wrote:

Regards
DL
We can can we?

We send our children to war. I think that is enough.
If a God wants us to kill or be killed for Him then he needs to be more clear. I think it is a fool or a crazy person that thinks God ask for either.
Even in the story of Abraham the Elohim or gods ask him to sacrifice his son and an angle of Yahweh stops him.
People don't have a bonafide gos in their face, remember no one has seen God and lived?
But thanks for calling me a fool.
I hate to see you put yourself in danger of judgement but oh well.
If you have refused God then truly you would deserve the title fool.
You indicated not seeing God so you are exempt. Please read as carefully as I wrote before using the word fool.
We send our children to die for man. Is it so strange that we would send them to die for God. Would the latter not be more fruitful.

Regards
DL

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #55

Post by Cathar1950 »

You indicated not seeing God so you are exempt. Please read as carefully as I wrote before using the word fool.
We send our children to die for man. Is it so strange that we would send them to die for God. Would the latter not be more fruitful.
I don't think either on is fruitful.

To die for others should be self-sacrifice. It should be the last resort.
To die for gods is insane. God should not need anyone to die for him/her.
An all-powerful loving deity should be above that sort of thing.
It does seem we give some of the worse attributes of men to our gods.

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Post #56

Post by Greatest I Am »

Cathar1950 wrote:

Firstly this situation is hypothetical. No one has said that God is standing there asking someone to kill.

Secondly if the wages of sin is death then the wages of doing good is life everlasting. Or Heaven. To follow God's command is good.

In the hypothetical that we have created, it serves both man and God for the deed to be done. We should then kill, hypothetically speaking.

Regards
DL

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #57

Post by Cathar1950 »

Greatest I Am wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:

Firstly this situation is hypothetical. No one has said that God is standing there asking someone to kill.

Secondly if the wages of sin is death then the wages of doing good is life everlasting. Or Heaven. To follow God's command is good.

In the hypothetical that we have created, it serves both man and God for the deed to be done. We should then kill, hypothetically speaking.

Regards
DL
It seems death is the natural order and it came into the world long before there was ever any concept of sin. So to say that the wages of sin is death is not only hypothetical but also wrong.
So the wages of good would not be life everlasting but good itself. Your argument doesn’t follow even if the wages of sin is death there is no need or demand for an opposite. People have done good deeds with out believing in eternal life and it isn’t needed for good. If God commands something that isn’t good then how could it be good just because he commands it?
How does it serve God who should need no service?
It might serve man to kill but I can hardly see justifying that it is serving God.
It seems some God fearing people think anything God does is good by definition. This makes their morality even less then subjective.

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

God is good and bad

Post #58

Post by Greatest I Am »

Cathar1950 wrote:
Greatest I Am wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:

Regards
DL
It seems death is the natural order and it came into the world long before there was ever any concept of sin.

GIA wrote
Genesis would disagree with you. It states that in the beginning our refusal of the garden of ignorance and the tree of life brought death to us.

So to say that the wages of sin is death is not only hypothetical but also wrong.
So the wages of good would not be life everlasting but good itself.

Gia wrote
Not in terms of the beginning according to Genesis.

Your argument doesn’t follow even if the wages of sin is death there is no need or demand for an opposite. People have done good deeds with out believing in eternal life and it isn’t needed for good.

GIA wrote
True. One does not need to believe in order to do good.
I believe that left to ourselves, we all have the same basic leaning towards good. Good is profitable for all involved in it.

If God commands something that isn’t good then how could it be good just because he commands it?

Gia wrote
God can do evil, this is well demonstrated in the BIble. But if one acts on an persived to be evil command then we are free of guilt for we trust in God and His forgivness. Unless He shirks His resposability which as far as I know does not happen.

How does it serve God who should need no service?

GIA wrote
This you would have to ask God. The fact that He has always demanded service should indicate that we serve some need of God. We just don't know His motivation.

It might serve man to kill but I can hardly see justifying that it is serving God.
It seems some God fearing people think anything God does is good by definition. This makes their morality even less then subjective.
GIA wrote
I have always wondered about fearing God. I know of His existance and yet do not fear Him. I am aware (like Job) that He can make my life misarable but even if He did, I would question His actions but fear Him, no.

Regards
DL

palmera
Scholar

Post #59

Post by palmera »

The fear of God is an interesting topic. It seems to me that someone faced with
G-d would feel absolute awe and absolute terror at the same time. If standing in the presence of G-d, you come face to face with your own mortality. and insignificance. The idea of a mushy, overwhelming sense of love/protection, if felt at all in the face of supreme being (regardless what you think its intentions might be) would be shored against the rocks of your own trembling fear.

It seems that confrontation with the divine must be a fundamentally aweful (both senses of the word) experience.
Men at ease have contempt for misfortune
as the fate of those whose feet are slipping.

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Post #60

Post by Greatest I Am »

palmera wrote:The fear of God is an interesting topic. It seems to me that someone faced with
G-d would feel absolute awe and absolute terror at the same time. If standing in the presence of G-d, you come face to face with your own mortality. and insignificance. The idea of a mushy, overwhelming sense of love/protection, if felt at all in the face of supreme being (regardless what you think its intentions might be) would be shored against the rocks of your own trembling fear.

It seems that confrontation with the divine must be a fundamentally awful (both senses of the word) experience.
Birth is always stressful.

Regards
DL