Would you kill for god?

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Would you kill for god?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

If you belive the bible, god has directed people to kill others, both individually (Abraham) and collectively (Joshua).
So, if god asked you to kill someone, would you?
How would you be sure that he really wants you to do it, after all he has asked it before of others?

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Post #71

Post by Greatest I Am »

Cmass wrote:
Cmass does hint at a good point.
How is obeying God even morality?
Cathar, I would add:
I assume all Christians believe God to be the perfection of morality. What I wonder is, given so many often conflicting stories of just what morality consists of, how do they know what to do? If males were valued over females back then, why not value males over females now? If it was OK back then to kill other people when you heard the voice of God tell you to do so, why do we lock up such people now? I would bet the intervention of modern secularists have saved many, many lives.[/quote

GIA wrote
If God is not the one to set morals then who is?

In the developing world they still kill "murder" female babies.

Regards
DL

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Re: Kill for God

Post #72

Post by Greatest I Am »

Cathar1950 wrote:
Greatest I Am wrote:The story of Abraham has nothing to do with killing of ones offspring. I think that the moral of the story is that there should not be a limit to what we will do for God. Children of that day, especially sons were greatly valued. This is why this story is the epitome of what God wants from us. Total love and obedience.
The first commandment says it all.

A few thoughts.
In reality God would not ask for this.
He has the power to reverse anything man can do.
Many consider life to be a burden so it may be good to send someone to Heaven asap.

In conclusion, if God ask you to do anything then you should obey.

Regards
DL
Most likely Abraham and Sarah were Priests and Priestess. To El and Ashuriah.
If this was true then they would give their first child to the gods.
But it is a number of stories and myths merged after David time.
But you above conclusion is rather weak and troubling.
If in "reality" God would not ask this then why would you obey?

GIA wrote
How is disobeying God a beter idea?

The idea that God can undo anything man can do and that it maybe good to sens someone to heaven is the sign of a deranged theology.
GIA wrote
How is sending someone to hell a beter theology?

Regards
DL

Osiris
Student

Post #73

Post by Osiris »

Many killers have said they killed because a voice in thier head or because an imaginary figure told them to do so. How is that different from god telling you to kill? And killing in general is wrong, and there are VERY FEW instances were it could be justified.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #74

Post by Cathar1950 »

Greatest I Am wrote: GIA wrote
If God is not the one to set morals then who is?

In the developing world they still kill "murder" female babies.

Regards
DL
What a bunch of BS. Don't you think they murder babies with poverty and can you tell us how many abortions were miscarriages?
We set the moral standards even if we say they are God's.

I have no idea why sending anyone to hell is a better or good theology.
It is a bad idea and if we say it is God's idea then you got a bad view of God.
You don't need visions to see it is messed up.

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Post #75

Post by Greatest I Am »

Osiris wrote:Many killers have said they killed because a voice in thier head or because an imaginary figure told them to do so. How is that different from god telling you to kill? And killing in general is wrong, and there are VERY FEW instances were it could be justified.
Agreed.
The premise is of after verification of authenticity.

Killing for God is not killing for an internal voice. Would you kill for God?

Regards
DL

spiritletter
Apprentice

Post #76

Post by spiritletter »

This is only a problem if you interpret scriptures literally. I am of the camp that believes that the Bible is not God's word. I believe that the Bible is a collection of poems, stories, parables, proverbs, history, folklore, lyrical essays and dramas composed by many people over a long period of time, and which represents a human response to God.

I am also of the opinion that if you kill to save your own life or that of your loved ones, and there is absolutely no way to avoid it, that your actions are just. However, if you add politicians to this formulation, and you get people killing each other over belief systems while underneath the world's wealthy are manipulating their passions, a great sin has been committed. I believe, as in all things, the particular must be examined if the truth is to be known, and not just the rhetoric.

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Post #77

Post by Greatest I Am »

spiritletter wrote:This is only a problem if you interpret scriptures literally. I am of the camp that believes that the Bible is not God's word. I believe that the Bible is a collection of poems, stories, parables, proverbs, history, folklore, lyrical essays and dramas composed by many people over a long period of time, and which represents a human response to God.

I am also of the opinion that if you kill to save your own life or that of your loved ones, and there is absolutely no way to avoid it, that your actions are just. However, if you add politicians to this formulation, and you get people killing each other over belief systems while underneath the world's wealthy are manipulating their passions, a great sin has been committed. I believe, as in all things, the particular must be examined if the truth is to be known, and not just the rhetoric.
You did not answer the question in any way.

Regards
DL

spiritletter
Apprentice

Post #78

Post by spiritletter »

I did say something about killing, actually, but not God's direction in the act. Since I am not sure that God has ever spoken to me, it is unlikely that I would kill anyone at his request. Usually, people who think God wants them to kill somebody are schizophrenic and hearing voices.

If I ever thought God was speaking to me about anything I'd check it out with someone else to make sure I wasn't going nuts.

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Post #79

Post by Greatest I Am »

spiritletter wrote:I did say something about killing, actually, but not God's direction in the act. Since I am not sure that God has ever spoken to me, it is unlikely that I would kill anyone at his request. Usually, people who think God wants them to kill somebody are schizophrenic and hearing voices.

If I ever thought God was speaking to me about anything I'd check it out with someone else to make sure I wasn't going nuts.
The scenario ignores all other points and indicates God as a real presence in front of you. Already tested and found to be real.

Would you kill for God?

Regards
DL

spiritletter
Apprentice

Post #80

Post by spiritletter »

I'm not sure I understand your response.

Let me say that God has never personally spoken to me, although I find his presence in certain aspects of the world.

I would be really rattled if God spoke to me.

People are killing each other all over the world right now, as we speak, because they all believe they know God's intent. I would venture to say that God would not want this.